News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Japanese 500 Yen 'Prefecture' Series

Started by Bimat, January 16, 2011, 04:09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bimat

Just a small update: The last three issues of 2011 (Shiga, Iwate and Akita) will be made available to  (Japanese) collectors on January 18, 2012 through banks. No updates on 2012 issues yet.

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

ghipszky

Wow those are such beautiful coins. And it is nice to have all of a series.
Ginger

genrou0

So, these are in circulation then? I am going to Japan next month, and I want to try to get some of these. I have been eyeing them since they came out.
I hope to get a bunch while I am there.

G

pingu

Hello,

the coins are very difficult to found in the circulation .
A lot of Japanese collect this series.

Good luck!

pingu

Bimat

The main problem is that vending machines won't accept these coins so getting them in change is very difficult..

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

genrou0

Ah, OK good to know! Maybe I can get my friend to go to the bank for me. I might have better luck that way. (@_@)y

G

malawi

Hello friends, I asked the Japanese mint about these coins
this is the answer :

Thank you for your interest in 500 yen coin of the Japan 47 Prefectures Coin
Program.
The prefectures 500 yen coin is both for circulation and for coin sets for
collectors.
We have brilliant uncirculated version and also proof version for coin sets.
We, Japan Mint, sell these coin sets.
Also, people can receive the prefectures 500 yen coin through financial
institutions such as banks and post offices in Japan in exchange of the same
amount of money.

Bimat

Thanks for the information, Malawi! :)

I'm still not sure how to order those coins directly from Japan mint. Their web-page is not very clear to understand the exact rules.

Aditya

malawi

Hello Bimat :)
How many types you have ?
Do you want to complete the entire series ?
I want to buy 2/3 types ... i think Iwate and Nara.
In your opinion what are the most beautiful?

genrou0

OK, so the banks and other places should work for at least this years coins.

I try those places out in two weeks when I go to Japan. I let you guys know what I find out/get.

G

Bimat

Quote from: malawi on April 04, 2012, 05:34:10 PM
Hello Bimat :)
How many types you have ?
Do you want to complete the entire series ?
I want to buy 2/3 types ... i think Iwate and Nara.
In your opinion what are the most beautiful?
Hi Malawi,

I have all the 500 Yen commemoratives from this series except the latest three (Iwate, Shiga and Akita). I'm hoping to get them soon!

Which are the most beautiful among all...that's a difficult question! ;) I like them all, except one or two which show a portrait only. They are indeed very beautifully struck and designs are quite nice too! I may have some spares but need to check first. Will do that as soon as I'm back to home. :)

Aditya

Bimat

Quote from: genrou0 on April 04, 2012, 11:27:50 PM
OK, so the banks and other places should work for at least this years coins.

I try those places out in two weeks when I go to Japan. I let you guys know what I find out/get.

Good luck!! Do lrt us know your experience! :)

Aditya

Bimat

Last three (of 2012) haven't been issued yet...

Aditya

Bimat

If I'm not wrong, the first three issues of 2012 (Okinawa, Kanagawa, Miyazaki) will be available in later half of 2012 and the remaining three (Tochigi, Hyogo and Oita) will be available in early 2013...

Aditya

paisepagal

I entered into a deal with a very nice guy from Tokyo who's provided me with all issues except kochi @14$ incl postage... Pretty good deal IMO
He mentioned to me the next issues are due in July