Author Topic: Delhi Sultanate, Khiljis: ‘Ala’ al-Din Muhammad (695–715AH,1296-1316AD), 2 gani  (Read 3967 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
I like clear coins. They're easy to read, right? Wrong. The more I stare at this one, the less I see. I noted "shah Mohammed" on the carton, but even that, I don't see any more.

Peter
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 10:32:34 PM by capnbirdseye »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
Good going Peter!
If it weighs 3.5 or so grams, about 15 mm in diameter, it is a 2 Gani of Ala Ud-din Muhammad Shah II,
1296 to 1316.   Mitchiner WO1 2569

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
Tumbs-up for Rangnath, but the revers ineed to turned as it is depicted up-side down.

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
Thank you Oesho.
Thumbs up is good.
Where I lived in India, it was the waggled thumbs down which was not to be desired!

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Thank you, gentlemen (also for rectifying the picture. It is a measure of my confusion that after a good long stare, I still put it upside down.) I found a biography of ths bloodthirsty ruler under the name of Ala-ud-din-Khilji, sultan of Delhi. I presume Muhammad could be thrown in for good order whenever the occasion arose. The dates you mention are Christian, not Islamic, so this fun piece will move to the middle ages. Who'd have thunk it... :o

Peter
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 05:39:57 PM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
Billon 2 Gani (R990, Goron D233, Tye 419); year illegible

Obverse Al-sultan Al-Azim 'Ala Al-Dunya Wa Al-Deen (The Sultan, the greatest one, excellence of the world and of the faith)

Reverse Center: Muhammad Shah (Arabic); Margin (Sri Saltan Alawadi) (Nagari)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Overlord, you made my day.

Peter

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
Another masterpiece.  I wonder how many we need for a book?
richie

Ansari

Beautiful explanation by Overload.
 :o