Author Topic: Forged 100 Rupee Coin - World of Work - ILO  (Read 7660 times)

Offline Abhay

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
Forged 100 Rupee Coin - World of Work - ILO
« on: March 31, 2010, 06:19:41 PM »
Today, I came across a 100 Rupee coin, fairly worn out condition. The colour is steel Grey. Weight of the coin is 30.28 grams, as against 35 grams for the Proof or UNC Coins. From the appearance or colour, it clearly seems to be a forged coin.

But since 100 rupee is not a circulating coin, why would someone make a forged coin of 100 rupee denomination? Except the weight and the colour, it is difficult to make out that it is a forged coin. This coin was given to the Tea stall owner just in front of my office, and he purchased it for Rs. 200.00.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Forged 100 Rupee Coin - World of Work - ILO
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 06:27:52 PM »
 :o :o
Woww,that's an incredible find! I wonder who did all this job and why :D Poor tea stall owner!

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline kansal888

• Honorary Member
Re: Forged 100 Rupee Coin - World of Work - ILO
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 06:21:00 AM »
Hi
Thanks for uploading the scans. From the scan it appears that the coin is composed of some low value metal. We have to be careful in future. Forgers may try their luck on other high value items and upload them on unsuspecting collectors.
Regards
Sanjay Kansal

Offline Kid Romeo

• Reader
  • I'M LEGEND
    • India Coin News
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 08:50:39 AM »
Thanks for updating us Abhay. That's the first time I had seen any recent Indian commemorative NCLT counterfeited.

Offline MS

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 02:00:03 PM »
:o :o
Woww,that's an incredible find! I wonder who did all this job and why :D Poor tea stall owner!

Aditya

I actually would not mind paying 200 for this counterfeit.

MS

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 02:12:08 PM »
Abhay,

Any idea of what metal it is?

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

andyg

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 07:16:50 PM »
just a guess, but from the pictures it looks to be lead. (or at the very least lead based)

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 09:57:58 PM »
Zinc is more probable, since lead is poisonous, especially when heated. The weight of a zinc coin would be wrong.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Abhay

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 01:39:42 AM »
Thanks to all for the replies.
I actually would not mind paying 200 for this counterfeit.

MS

I have already offered him Rs. 300 for this coin, but he first wants to get it checked from Goldsmith for its silver content. ;D

Abhay,

Any idea of what metal it is?

Amit

Zinc is more probable, since lead is poisonous, especially when heated. The weight of a zinc coin would be wrong.

Peter

Even I think it is Zinc Based metal. But when you touch the coin, it feels like a soft metal - like Lead. But lead would actually make the coin heavier. The weight of the coin is 30.28 Grams, although the size and the thickness is exactly the same. Also, I note that the reeds at the sides are not all that perfect, confirming it to be forged.

But again, I am surprised that why someone would make a forged coin for a Non Circulating issue? From the condition of the coin, it seems that the coin has actually been in circulation for quite a long time.

I was also wondering about the Economics for this forged coin. Surely, the forger must have made a die for this coin, which must have costed him heavily. Since no one else has seen such forged coin earlier means that very few such coins must have been minted. So again the question - What was the purpose of making such a forged coin?

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 12:55:19 PM »
I can think of some scenario's.

One starts in China. Our villain gets to know how the Chinese are forging collector's coins like there's no tomorrow and decides to try his hand at it. After all, there's place for one more crook on eBay. Unfortunately, he doesn't have an expensive collector's coin, so he steals (he's a villain after all) his grandmother's prize possession: a 100 rupee coin. He borrows money from a loan shark and using Chinese reduction techniques, after many tries and much work, produces a good enough die. He goes to work on producing his first coins in an easy to use metal, when the loan sharks come for their money and accidentally kill him as he falls head first on the coin press. The loan sharks are very angry, sell the press and spend the coins, not even noticing that most look wrong (poor grandma). Everybody loses, except Engipress and the tea stall owner.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.