News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Umayyad - Hisham ibn Abd al-Malik, 116 AH, Wasit

Started by wrongmove, May 02, 2024, 05:25:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrongmove

Date as I read with help of Richard Plant's book is AH126.
Weight - 2.33 g
size-25-26mm
Mint - Wasit

It came with a ticket which says "Dirham - the Umayyad Caliph Merwan II - murdered 750 ( 744-50) Rare Revolt led by Abu-l-Abbas(749) murdered Caliph 750."

So confused if it is Merwan II or Yezid III.

Also I don't like the look and feel - can this be fake?
Thanks

Thanks

aws22

Dear wrongmove, your coin:
Umayyad Caliphate, Hisham ibn Abd al-Malik, 116 AH (736 AD), Silver dirham, Wasit mint (AH 105-125 /724-743 AD)
Reverse (First photo):
Field:
لا اله الا , La Ilah Illa, No God except
الله وحده , Allah wahdahu, Allah, the One.
لا شريك له , la sharika lahu , Having no partner with Him.
Margin:
بسم الله ضرب هذا الدرهم بواسط سنه ست عشرة ومئه ,  in the name of Allah this dirham was struck in Wasit Sanah (Year) Sitt wa Ashara wa Maya 116.
Obverse (Second photo):
Field: Surah al-Ikhlas, from the Quran:
اللَّهُ أَحَدٌ اللَّهُ الصَّمَدُ لَمْ يَلِدْ وَلَمْ يُولَدْ وَلَمْ يَكُنْ لَهُ كُفُوًا أَحَدٌ , Allah, the One and Only; Allah, the Eternal, Absolute; He begets not, nor is He begotten; And there is none like unto Him.
Margin:
محمد رسول الله ارسله بالهدى و دين الحق ليظهره على الدين كله ولو كره المشركون
Muhammad Rasul Allah arsalahu bi'l-huda wa din al-haqq li-yuzhirahu 'ala al-din kullihi wa law kariha al-mushrikun
"Muhammad is the messenger of God who sent him with guidance and the religion of truth that he might make it supreme over all other religions, even though the polytheists may detest it", Sura 9 (al-Tawba), v. 33.
Hisham ibn Abd al-Malik هشام بن عبد الملك, was the 10th Umayyad caliph.
Wasit (واسط), was a military and commercial city of medieval Iraq, especially important during the Umayyad caliphate (661–750 AD). Wasit was established as a military encampment in 702 on the Tigris River, between Basra and Kufah, by al-Ḥajjaj, the Umayyad governor of Iraq.

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

wrongmove

Thanks Maythem. 

I missed the reading date - 10 and 20 has ending different .

Hisham's coins do exist with 3 amulet but wondering if this is heavily underweight - 2.33 vs normal weight 2.75-3 g.
Thanks

Manzikert

Your coin has unfortunately been (very neatly) clipped which explains the light weight.

It is missing a mm or so round the whole edge which can can be seen by comparing with mine below, which is 2.86 mm and 28 mm.

Alan

wrongmove