Labuan island, colony token

Started by Alex Island, April 28, 2024, 09:56:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex Island

This is a continuation of the topic about searching for information about one of the most mysterious tokens in my collection. The first part of the discussion was posted on another board here: Labuan island colony, 4 shillings?

This mystery haunts me. Because for more than 7 years I have been searching for information and looking for traces of this token at all auctions. This turned out to be a very big mystery that I published but no one knows anything for sure..

As a result, I was able to discover the earliest date of publication of photographs and comments on these tokens, dated 2011:

QuoteThe Labuan colony , that later became part of the larger British colony of the Straits Settlements. There were no official coins issued at this time, but there were merchant tokens. Your pieces are most likely such merchant tokens. I would not be able to put a value on them, since I have not seen their condition and also there are no records for these being sold recently. One thing I can tell you is that early tokens from this area are quite rare and the prices are very high.
All islands around the world & islands coin

Alex Island

Next, I did two more interesting things that no one has done yet. I have one photo of the supposed reverse of these tokens, which may be the reverse of one of the ones shown. I paired them up and improved the quality of the images. As a result, I received two possible options that can now be conveniently considered:

Alex Island

And I did another interesting thing. Since there are only two photographs, you can see that the first token is heavily worn on the left side, and the second token, on the contrary, is worn out on the right side. As a result, the entire image on the token is not visible. Therefore, I combined two different tokens in those places where they are well preserved, and from the two tokens I got one photograph: