News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

I am gripped by Jitalitis

Started by Pellinore, April 22, 2024, 11:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

THCoins

Yes, the variety is very big. I am still trying to put some more order into these while cataloging. Mr Tye in the past has suggested that the large variety may be a reflection of a distributed minting system in which different local mints were responsible for production of petty cash.

What the different symbols in the hands of the horserider indicate is also not clear. Many mints have different varieties with different symbols. Taliqan only has the horizontal spear in different versions and versions with the same position of the arms, but without spear:

Tye209W.jpg

Figleaf

The Khwarezmshahs had a legitimacy problem, a fast expanding empire and restless neighbours, so they were in need of a large army even before the Mongols came around for a visit. That would make it logical for them to be tolerant towards outlying conquests and integrate their young men into the Khwarezm army.

I have learned from THCoins that those jitals didn't even circulate in all of their territories, as the rulers apparently let the coinage standards of their predecessors stand. I find that far more amazing then the many types on the same standard coins. Using more than one coin standard hampers trade. Trade is a unifying force and it brings wealth, which in turn yields acceptance of new rulers.

The Khwarezmshahs had just beaten back all their enemies when they made Genghis angry. Perhaps if they hadn't made that huge mistake, they would have had the time to consolidate the money system. As it was, how they were pictured on the coins and with what arms may have been a low priority worry they just never got to address.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Pellinore

(Just to make things complete, as to the Khwarezm horsemen in my collection, this other neat little fellow from Herat. 13.5 mm, 2.99 gr. Tye 221. Very likable coin, I think.)

6636 ew.jpg

capnbirdseye

Quote from: Pellinore on April 30, 2024, 01:17:22 PM(Just to make things complete, as to the Khwarezm horsemen in my collection, this other neat little fellow from Herat. 13.5 mm, 2.99 gr. Tye 221. Very likable coin, I think.)

They are all very likeable indeed, it would be nice to see one exactly centred on a good sized flan  8) 
Vic

Figleaf

Here's one of mine, riding the other way and still not completely identified.

Horseman.jpgKalima.jpg

The thread is here.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

THCoins

Currently working on these. And also with the Tye catalog next to me, these are not always easy at all.
Paul's Tye#221. 1 specimen is quite straightforward. But in trying to group different types one quickly runs into unknown territory:

T225_500w.jpg
This is Tye#225. No mint attribution given in Tye. The rider has a spiky crown and three dots behind.
Looking at the design, this very much matches that of Tye 221.1. This one is also often seen in groups with Tye 221.1 So it seems probable this could also be Herat. But why the different obverse design ?

T221.2s3_500w.jpg
This second one is Tye#221.3, so in the Tye catalog ordered under Herat. The presence of a Tye#222.2 suggests that this type of reverse also occurred with the Tye#221.1 obverse.
The horse looks similar, however, here one of the frontlegs is standing. Also the legend style is different. In general, this Kufic calligraphic style is seen in more northern mints. It does occur on other coins firmly attributable to Herat, though. I can not exclude that this was from Herat. But because of the uncertainties and differences with Tye#221.1 i would choose not to group these under one type nr.

capnbirdseye

Quote from: THCoins on April 30, 2024, 03:05:37 PMThe horse looks similar, however, here one of the frontlegs is standing. Also the legend style is different. In general, this Kufic calligraphic style is seen in more northern mints. It does occur on other coins firmly attributable to Herat, though. I can not exclude that this was from Herat. But because of the uncertainties and differences with Tye#221.1 i would choose not to group these under one type nr.

I thought that this last horse was quite different to the more usual, it's dumpy body and large ears have the appearance of a donkey or mule rather than a horse. What is thought to be in the left hand?
Vic

THCoins

Agree that the equine animal looks much less elegant than on the other (earlier ?) types.
The object behind the horseman has been called a mace, a knapsack and "Herat" erased from the die, in the past.

capnbirdseye

I shall have to throw this one back into the mix, a rare jital of Muhammad bin sam where the horse has become a lion seemingly being ridden by a goggle eyed frog  ???
Vic

THCoins

That really is one of the Jital crown jewels Vic !
Since the first time you showed this i have assembled specimen from three different dies by now.
But still not encountered a die-match horse prototype before its gender conversion operation.

Pellinore

What a wonderful lion! Never seen this type.
-- Paul