M.T.C. - 2D plastic Token

Started by bhx7, April 19, 2024, 04:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhx7

Hi,

I got this as part of a joblot of tokens. I thought it maybe Manchester transport token, but Manchester always use MCT for Manchester Corporation Transport. I have also looked through my books and can't find it there. I have a suspicion that it has something to do with the Railway due to all the other items in the lot, but can't be 100%.

The token is Blue plastic, 27mm Diameter. 

Any help appreciated, Thanks
Brian

FosseWay

The first thing that springs to my mind given the initials MTC in the UK context is the Mechanised Transport Corps, a women's auxiliary service during the Second World War which provided drivers and transport for the armed forces and other elements of the war effort.

I guess this token could be a transport token for use by MTC personnel on duty, but where such tokens are used by other WW2 auxiliary services (ARP, AFS etc.), they tend to show which borough they are valid in.

If my interpretation of MTC is correct (and it's just an informed guess), then it might be more likely that this is for use in a mess/canteen where MTC drivers spent their breaks.

bhx7

FosseWay, that sounds really quite reasonable to me and very feasable. I was starting to think canteen token too. Lots more research needed, but now at least one avenue to look in to.

Thank you
Brian

Figleaf

An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.