News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Greek-Roman Provincial coin to identify

Started by Pellinore, December 17, 2023, 02:24:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pellinore

This coin was misdescribed, and I don't really recognize where it is from. On one side there's a man's portrait to the right with a text in Greek, a polis name, that you may read from the outside as '...ELDYAI...'. On the other side a crescent-based bust of the god Mên with a Phrygian cap. A surrounding text suggests a magistrate's name like ...TILPI... or TIAPI. To be read from the outside. 
The coin measures 16 mm and 3.06 gr.
Can you forward a suggestion?
Thanks!

-- Paul
3099 ew.jpg

Pellinore

I thought it may be Sillyum (Sillyon, thus CELLIAION) in Pamphilia, issued by Trajan (the word on the side with Mên could be OYLP from Ulpius Traianus). But I didn't find any coins this small from Sillyon in the RPC website, though I found the type with emperor's bust t.r. on obverse and Mên's bust on reverse for the third century on much larger coins.

-- Paul

JMP

On Wildwinds one can find such Assarion coins (AE10, AE17) under Sillyum, with acceptable portraits on both sides, but none with the legend to be read from the outside.

Kamnaskires

Possibly a pseudo-autonomous AE from Trapezopolis, Caria. Apollo/Mên.

Pellinore

Thanks to you both, very much so, and sorry for being late with this.

-- Paul

JMP

Hello Paul,
Seeing your answer here, I took a sharper look to what Kamnaskires wrote and I have to say: he was absoluteky right - TRAPEZOPOLIS.

Pellinore

Oooo! Almost the same coins. Thanks very much.

-- Paul

JMP

Here is Wildwinds' comment to this type:

Pellinore