Do you think most coinages include a unit coin nowadays?

Started by <k>, June 29, 2023, 10:46:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think most coinages include a unit coin nowadays?

Yes
4 (66.7%)
No
1 (16.7%)
Don't know
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: July 14, 2023, 10:46:42 AM

krishna

Yes even the kuwait 1 dinar dosen't have a circulating version
Even qatar dosen't seem to have a the 1 riyal coin

<k>

Quote from: Alan71 on June 30, 2023, 02:09:45 PMThat would appear to confirm that it was printed for at least a year after the £1 coin was issued.  That's quite odd.  They would not, for instance, have continued producing the round £1 coin once the 12-sided version was issued.

The £1 coin was new in 1983, so presumably they needed to wait until there were enough coins in circulation before they stopped printing the note. The lag would also have given the public adequate time to get used to the new coin.

By the time of the 12-sided pound coin, there were already plenty of round pounds in circulation.

The 12-sided £1 coin was introduced into circulation in the United Kingdom on 28th March 2017. The round pound was demonetised at midnight on Sunday 15th October 2017.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

<k>

Quote from: krishna on June 30, 2023, 03:57:15 PMYes even the kuwait 1 dinar dosen't have a circulating version
Even qatar dosen't seem to have a the 1 riyal coin

The Kuwaiti dinar is the highest value currency in the world. It is worth around $3.25.

A Qatari riyal is worth only around 28 US cents.

<k>

I was hoping that somebody would take up the whole challene and produce the whole list, but no.  :(

So here goes. The list of countries that currently use only subunit coins. I am proceeding alphabetically.

Azerbaijan.
Bahamas.
Bahrain.
Brunei.
Cayman Islands.
Ecuador.
Honduras.
Kuwait.
Malaysia.
Oman.
Qatar.    But in 2021 and 2022 it had circulating commemorative 1 riyal coins.
Romania.    No leu or lei coins as yet.  The currency was redenominated in 2005.
Sierra Leone.    The currency was redenominated in 2022.
Trinidad and Tobago.
USA.

Pabitra

The topic is not well formed.

Are Crown territories ( other than Falklands ) excluded even after their failure to issue 1 Pound bimetallic coin since they have issued 2 Pound coins?

USA no longer issued circulating 1 Dollar but has not been included.

Malaysia 1 Rinngit coin is no legal tender since quite some time.

Several countries no longer issue unit coins but higher denominations only. This would be a very long list ranging from Chile, Costarica etc to Hungary, Tanzania etc.

Countries issuing unit currency coins but denominations them in subunits would include Timor, Suriname, Eriteria etc.

Countries who have never issued unit coins include Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Cayman etc.

<k>

Quote from: Pabitra on July 02, 2023, 10:51:37 AMAre Crown territories ( other than Falklands ) excluded even after their failure to issue 1 Pound bimetallic coin since they have issued 2 Pound coins?

I count a unit coin as any coin that has the unit in its name, e.g. 2 pounds, 13 crore rupees.

QuoteUSA no longer issued circulating 1 Dollar but has not been included.

Can any US members verify that, please?

QuoteMalaysia 1 Rinngit coin is no legal tender since quite some time.

Corrected.

QuoteSeveral countries no longer issue unit coins but higher denominations only. This would be a very long list ranging from Chile, Costa Rica etc to Hungary, Tanzania etc.

See:

Countries that no longer use subunit coins

Countries whose current coinage never included subunits

QuoteCountries issuing unit currency coins but denominations them in subunits would include Timor, Suriname, Eriteria etc.

Good point.

QuoteCountries who have never issued unit coins include Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Cayman etc.

Numista says the Bahamas $1 coin circulated for some years.

chrisild

As for the 1 USD coin, I already mentioned it is "pretty much dead". The US Mint does not make the denomination any more, only for collectors. For details see here. Americans seem to prefer paper money (if they use cash) for a denomination that is worth about 90 (euro-)cent. ::)

In other countries where the US dollar is used, the $1 coin seems to be in normal use though. But I don't suppose it is the US Mint's job to produce "their" cash. ;)

<k>

Quote from: chrisild on July 02, 2023, 12:29:45 PMAs for the 1 USD coin, I already mentioned it is "pretty much dead". The US Mint does not make the denomination any more, only for collectors.

Ok, Mr. Honorary American, I'll update my list.  ;)

Pabitra

Quote from: <k> on July 02, 2023, 11:11:49 AMCan any US members verify that, please?

I was in US for April May this year and for sometime, sat with a numismatist, who did roll hunting ( buying a roll of coins and searching for coins which are difficult to get, year, design or date) , primarily of quarters but dollar coins too.
The Dollar rolls are easily available but one gets only old presidential and  Sacagaewa dollars. Nowhere did we come across American Innovation or later presidents.

Pabitra

Trinidad and Tobago too have no Dollar coin issued in to circulation.

<k>

Quote from: Pabitra on July 02, 2023, 07:14:51 PMTrinidad and Tobago too have no Dollar coin issued in to circulation.

Thank you, Pabitra. Updated.

<k>

Quote from: Pabitra on July 02, 2023, 06:57:42 PMI was in US for April May this year and for sometime, sat with a numismatist, who did roll hunting ( buying a roll of coins and searching for coins which are difficult to get, year, design or date) , primarily of quarters but dollar coins too.
The Dollar rolls are easily available but one gets only old presidential and Sacagaewa dollars. Nowhere did we come across American Innovation or later presidents.

So functionally the dollar coin is dead. It's a zombie coin.

<k>

I have just added Azerbaijan to the list of countries that do not issue a unit coin.

Azerbaijan does not issue a manat coin.

<k>