Author Topic: Delhi Sultanate: Jalal al-Din Radiyya (Raziyya) (AH634–37 AH,1236–40AD), Jital  (Read 4281 times)

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
Delhi Sultanate, Turks: Jalal al-Din Radiyya (Raziyya) (AH634–637 AH,1236–1240AD), Billon Jital (Ref. R 873, Goron D105, Tye 393.2, Deyell#329)

Info at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Razia_Sultana 

Mass=3.5 g

Obverse: Al-Sultan Al-Mu'azzam Radiyya Al-Deen Bint (Al-Sultan) (The Sultan, The Great, Approved One of Faith, Daughter of the Sultan)

Reverse: Horseman to right; Above and around: (Sri Hamirah), Cross (star) symbol below
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 08:49:03 PM by capnbirdseye »

Ansari

Well preserved Coin :)

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
I have the impression that the horseman side of the coin is depicted up-side-down.

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
I have the impression that the horseman side of the coin is depicted up-side-down.
Thanks Oesho.
I am not able to make much sense after rotating the coin on the computer. Will match the coin itself with the catalog image and correct the orientation.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Reopened an old post to add another one of these, and also because i have some questions i hope the experts may answer.

There are several  types of the horseman jitals of Raziyya. The one i add i believe is G/G D105, Tye#393.3. I believe the above one should also be classified as Tye#393.3 and not 393.2 because of the "plus-sign"behind the front legs of the horse.

The other major type is G/G D016, Tye#394. Examples of this one are found here and here.

Looking at my specimen and reading the Tye Jital catalog, leaves me with two main questions:

1- Tye gives the mint of this coins as probably Lahore. However, the style of the coin seems to fall out of tone with the majority of other specimen from earlier and later rulers attributed to Lahore. The design of the body of the horseman and the head of the horse look more like contemporary types attributed to Multan. Does anyone know what is the evidence for the attribution to Lahore ?

2- Tye states that the inscription on the horseman side reads "Sri Hamirah". That seems true for the specimen of G/G D106, Tye#394. However, it is definitely not correct for this specimen. Looking at comparable specimen, like those on Zeno, here and here, i seems that there is indeed a "Sri" left of the horseman. However, to the right of the horseman there only seems space for two characters. The first does not resemble the usual "Ha". The second is the question mark shaped character in front of the horse in my specimen. My best guess would be that this is a "Gu". Also the final ":" of  "HamiraH" is clearly absent.
So my question: what is the text on the horseman side supposed to be ? Could someone who has Goron and Goenka please check what their reading is ? Or does anyone have better specimen to possibly answer this question ?

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
I don't think there is any sensible legend in front of the horseman. The coins were copied and re-copied and ultimately the image of the horseman side became a frozen image with some meaningless characters derived from the original legend 'Sri Hamirah'.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Oesho, thanks for the reply !
I think you may very well be right. Probably quality control in Delhi was better, so this text degradation was less there.
This is one of the more interesting aspects of the evolution of these coins for me. (also for the Jitals of the Kabul Shahi) Unfortunately, specimen with nicely struck legends are so scarce that specific investigation of the evolution over time will remain troublesome.

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
Quite historically significant coin.

Overlord you have decent collection.

Cheers ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

Offline RG

• Meritorious Member
My specimen

Offline noor

dear friends
I will be tankful if some one of you can put a line diagram on the coin where the word "Radiyya" is mentioned.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Hello Noor, and welcome to WoC !

Unfortunately the coins above are not the best specimen to make an overlay of the text. Usually the name of the Sultana is largely off-flan.
The beginning of the name is located in the left part of the second text line. First comes the word "mu'azzam" ألمعظم (Great), then there are two characters of the beginning of the Raziyya name رضیہ. Can you recognize it ?

Anthony

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
This is I think a good example showing the complete word Raziyya ,

( excuse wobbly overlay, my mouse pointer is very jittery  :D)
Vic

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
And to complicate things, on this more Western mint type, the end of the name is written slightly different than on the Delhi/Budaon types.
Below a Budaon example, name in the centre of the right picture.

Offline noor

dear
THCoins, capnbirdseye thanks for the illustarion.

Capnbirdseye , Sir can you please decipher the legend (complete) in your coin .What are differnt kinds of legends on jital ? all same or different

the below image is from TA India ,CG B57
1)what is written outside the circle in obverse , is the date is complete ?
2)what is legend on reverse

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
The reference should be G/G B58, instead of B57. The legend on both are the same, but the obverse legend is in five lines with 'al-mu'minin' in the bottom line. The marginal legend is only partly visible and mint-name (Lakhnauti) and date (AH635) are off the flan.