Author Topic: Gujarat sultan, G432, Mahmud shah-III, BI Half Tanka  (Read 295 times)

Offline drnsreedhar

• Meritorious Member
Gujarat sultan, G432, Mahmud shah-III, BI Half Tanka
« on: September 15, 2019, 08:05:11 AM »
Posting another Mahmud bin Lathif coin. I have included that in Billon variety for two reasons. It has silvery luster on its surface. Silver content must be very low for sure. And its weight is 4.2gms, closer to the billon issues. The problem is that if it is billon, it is rare and if AE, common! I am unable to find any date struck on it. (If someone is able to, please show).
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 10:55:38 AM by THCoins »
Dr.Sreedhar

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: Gujarat sultan, G432, Mahmud shah-III, BI Half Tanka
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 11:00:18 AM »
Your posts again confront me with some of the complexities of this coinage !
Not being an expert on these, i am not fully convinced by your choice for G432. Weight may be closer to the billon type. However, your specimen does have quite some wear, but still it would be overweight for the billon type. Also comparing with G&G, the die design seems to better fit with the G447 half falus in my view ?

Offline drnsreedhar

• Meritorious Member
Re: Gujarat sultan, G432, Mahmud shah-III, BI Half Tanka
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 04:09:09 PM »
I agree with you Anthony that the calligraphy is closer to the copper issue. But the actual look of the coin is not copper-like. It shows a little silvery shining that we meet with on Razia coins or on later Mamluk issues. It does not darken as copper coins do, but changes colour like sulphide coating on silver. I do not see any other means to differentiate these two metals without damaging the coin. Any help is welcome. Thanks.
Dr.Sreedhar