Author Topic: Khandesh Sultanate, KH2 Nasir Shah, AE ½ Falus  (Read 498 times)

Offline drnsreedhar

• Meritorious Member
Khandesh Sultanate, KH2 Nasir Shah, AE ½ Falus
« on: August 15, 2019, 11:47:21 AM »
Half falus of Nasir shah of Khandesh, rated RR.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 12:17:44 PM by drnsreedhar »
Dr.Sreedhar

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Khandesh Sultanate, KH2 Nasir Shah, AE ½ Falus
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 07:04:47 AM »
You went by the weight to declare this a ½ falus, I suppose? I wonder how people made the distinction in daily life, though. I can't imagine everybody carrying scales, but I can imagine heated arguments over whether it's a falus or a half.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline drnsreedhar

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2019, 05:24:19 AM »
Thanks Peter for the post. And that IS a thought!!! ;D. Those people must have had some innate skill to avoid conflicts for sure. Or they would have periled.

This coin has some peculiar features that I notice. One is that the "Nazir" on the reverse is written in a continuous hand. Calligraphic beauty of that is striking. The other is the way "dunya" (circled) is written. Usually it is written "danya" whereas here it really is "dunya", a feature seldom seen on Delhi, Gujarat or other sultanate coins.
I am posting an overlay to the image.
Dr.Sreedhar

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 11:36:37 AM »
Both suggest an educated person. A mullah? Nasir shah himself?

Now that's a fun thought. In China, the emperor was supposed to be a master calligrapher. Just in case he wasn't, there were legions of scribes in his court, the best of whom would be charged with "copying" what the emperor had written himself. A copy of a text in the imperial handwriting would count as a generous reward for a middle rank officer or official. It is likely that Nasir Shah was aware of this Chinese tradition.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.