News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

UK circulating commemorative coins for 2020

Started by eurocoin, July 12, 2019, 01:15:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deeman

Quote from: Alan71 on May 02, 2020, 03:34:24 PM
You mean the reverse don't you?  The date is on the reverse side - I'd say they might keep that date as the Olympics will still be called Tokyo 2020, but I imagine they might have a 2021 date on the obverse.

I meant what I wrote.

'2020' will remain on the reverse as the Games will still be known as 'Tokyo 2020', but I think that the date in the obverse legend will be 2020 if it is launched in 2021, so as to match the reverse date.

Alan71

We'll see... I think it's too much of a marketing opportunity to miss.  Even if the 2020 version isn't being issued for circulation or made available in separate packs from the Royal Mint, it's still available individually from Westminster/Change Checker.  The Royal Mint in its current form isn't going to squander the commercial possibilities. 

Had they not also put the 2020 date on the reverse of the coin, you might have been right, but on both sides it's begging for a 2021 version.

We won't know until next year happens though.

Deeman

I wonder if RM's issuance list for 2020 (whatever it contains) will be curtailed due to Covid-19?
Would it be in their interest to squander commercial possibilities (to borrow an Alan71 phrase)?

eurocoin

The collectors editions of the VE Day 2 pound coin will be released on the Royal Mint website today. HM Treasury has also authorized The Royal Mint to produce the coin for general circulation if there is sufficient demand from the cash centres, which there appears to be.

MCz

Even four, as Piedfort version issued too (so 2x silver, gold, base bimetallic).

redlock

MCz

QuoteHowever, how trustworthy is the neswpaper?
It is, at least in this case. At the beginning of article they wrote a link to Royal Mint e-shop with these coins... 3 colours (4 versions as silver normal and silver Piedfort) avaliable, also issues in PNC and in set with predecimal 1945 coins.

kena

BU
BU Cover
Historic Set

Silver Proof
Silver Proof Cover
Piedfort Silver

Gold Proof
Gold Proof Cover
Gold Proof with Newspaper

I can't find all of the versions that the spoke about unless i did not understand the article.

redlock

So, the coloured coins are NCLT coins.
I hadn't known that.  :-[

Alan71

MCz

Quote from: Alan71 on May 05, 2020, 09:27:16 AM
Er... what%u2019s NCLT?  :)
NCLT = non circulated, I guess.

Quote from: redlock on May 05, 2020, 08:27:53 AM
So, the coloured coins are NCLT coins.
I hadn't known that.  :-[
Only base bimetallic can be produced for circulation (if this will be needed)... silver and gold coins are usually non circulated from minimum 50 years :)

Deeman

Quote from: MCz on May 05, 2020, 09:44:22 AM
Only base bimetallic can be produced for circulation ...

Providing they are not coloured.

Pabitra

Quote from: Alan71 on May 05, 2020, 09:27:16 AM
Er... what's NCLT?  :)

Non circulating Legal Tender.

You buy them for £50 or £100 but if need to use them then you can tender them for £2 ( or the face value)