Author Topic: Madura Sultanate: Ghiyas Al-Din Muhammad Damghan Shah (AH740/1-745), Jital, MD15  (Read 1695 times)

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
Mass=3.5 g

Obverse Al Sultan Al Azim Ghiyas Al Duniya Wa Al Deen [The Sultan, the magnificent, aid/relief (of) the world and the faith]; date in margin

Reverse Muhammad Damghan Shah (in circle); year (74X) in margin

« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 01:21:51 PM by capnbirdseye »

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Overloard,
Another gem form one of the scarce series with the detailed analysis of how to read the coin.
Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
These are wonderful Overlord. Thanks so much.
richie

Offline drnsreedhar

• Meritorious Member
Adding my coin to the DB
Dr.Sreedhar

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Your last coin looks a bit like its silver surface layer is flaking off. Do you think this one was resilvered recently by  a coin trader or is this ancient silvering ?
Below one i recently received. With the number already present on WoC i think this coin may be less rare than the classification in G&G suggests ?

Anthony

Offline drnsreedhar

• Meritorious Member
Beautiful coin Anthony. Thanks  for the post. My coin was there unidentified with one of my numismatist friends for several years along with nearly forty other coins. He got the lot from a coin dealer. He approached me for attribution and was kind enough to gift this one to me. It looked black when received. Given a soap and water wash, it started to look flaking. I have come across similar issue with Gujarat sultanate coins also. Anyway I just tried to scrap an edge and it seems that it is not coated. No further damage was attempted so far!!
Dr.Sreedhar

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
With the black surface it seems most likely that it had some horn silver/silver chloride due to exposure to the elements. Still a nice one to have !