Author Topic: Madura Sultanate: Nasir Al-Din Mahmud Damghan Shah (AH745-748), Jital, MD18  (Read 4526 times)

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
Mass=3.5 g

Obverse Nasir Al Duniya Wa Al Deen [Defender (of) the World and of Faith]; date in margin

Reverse Muhammad Ghazi Damghan Shah Al Sultan (on his gold coins this ruler calls himself warith-i-mulk-i-sulaiman or 'heir to the kingdom of Solomon')

I'm still struck with the date in the obverse margin (74X)  :(.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 01:22:03 PM by capnbirdseye »

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Re: Madura Sultanate: Nasir Al-Din Mahmud Damghan Shah (AH745-748), Jital, MD18
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 08:21:29 PM »
Overlord,
A beautiful coin indeed and thank you for the details on how to read the coin. Great work. Keep it up.
Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 05:11:34 PM »
I am intrigued by the title "heir to the kingdom of Solomon". Which kingdom of which Solomon/Sulaiman do you think the sultan of Madura is claiming, or at least referring to?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 12:49:33 AM »
Good question Peter! 
As this Solomon was before the Turkish Suleiman the Magnificent, I'd vote for the Koranic Solomon.  I gather that he was and wasn't exactly the same as the one in the "Old" Testament. Wikipedia had this to say:

In the Qur'an, Sulayman is a son of the Prophet Dawud (King David in Bible). He is told to have learned much from his father, and subsequently made a prophet by Allah and given power over all creatures. Ruling a large kingdom that extended south into Yemen, he was known throughout the lands for his wisdom and fair judgments.
Sounds like a suitable kingom to me and one ruled by a prophet of God no less.
richie

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 12:57:52 AM »
Excellent solution. Thanks Richie.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Samuel Tan

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 07:19:37 AM »
Is this Madura, one of Indonesian island?
I never seen something like that before. I never aware that there is a Madura Sultanate.
By the way, in December, I am heading very close to this place. My wife's mother live in Surabaya, a short distance to Madura Island. The word Duni(y)a is still used in Indonesia means what it is The World.
Samuel Tan

Offline Samuel Tan

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 07:52:39 AM »
I just learn that this Madura is different than the Madura Island I know.
Also predominantly Muslim country, neighbor of Majapahit Kingdom predominantly Hindu country. The founder of Majapahit Kingdom (AD 1293) was Raden (Prince) Wijaya (Vijaya) who was the ruler of the present day Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei, East Timor, and the Philippines.

I really wonder if India, Malaysia and Indonesia are related. The people looks a like, , Language, (Old) writings and their names are similar (Sanskrit), culture (Maha Bharata) and religion was same. Remember, the Dutch called Indonesia East Indie. May be our friends from India can help to find the link.
Samuel Tan

Offline luv4coins

Dear Fig leaf where is the AH 74x in the margin ? Can you please let me know.

Regards.........Alex

Offline Md. Shariful Islam

• Honorary Member
  • Tonk>Tanka>Taka
    • Coins of Medieval Bengal
Great illustration! Title is fine. But by mistake in illustration it is Muhammad. Should be read as 'Mahmud'.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Dear Fig leaf where is the AH 74x in the margin ? Can you please let me know.

The question would be for Overlord, rather than me, but he's busy, so here goes. Once you have identified a coin and if you have a good catalogue, you know what was on the die, even if it doesn't show on the coin. It is quite possible that the date is not on the coin, but if you know in which time span the coin was produced, you know the first two digits of the date.

Peter

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
The coin is well dated. On top of the margin you may observe the word 'sanah' followed by 'sitt wa arba'in ... (6 and 40). The writing for 700 is off the flan. Nevertheless the coin can safely be dated AH 746.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Great! Another problem solved expertly.

Peter

Offline luv4coins

Hi,
Thanks a lot Oesho and Figleaf. I have started collecting Madurai Sultans recently.So I was curious to know.And trying to collect at least all the coins illustrated except for Au coins.

Thanks & Regards.....Alex

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Way to go, luv. Keep us informed.

Peter

Offline luv4coins

Sure I will keep you posted on the progress of my new subject (Madurai Sultanate) collection....Regards.....Alex