150 Anniversary of Canadian Confederation

Started by quaziright, November 01, 2016, 05:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quaziright

The RCM will unveil the new set on Nov 2 at 1pm on its Facebook page

quaziright

onecenter

Its hard to top the 1967 Centennial modern classics.
Mark

quaziright

One thing that was attractive about the centennial set was that a lot of the coins were in silver which is always nice. However, I like this set too especially after reading about the artists and the meaning behind each coin.

What do we make of it that the 50cent coin didn't get in?

<k>

LIVING TRADITIONS 5-CENT COIN by Gerald Gloade, Millbrook First Nation, Nova Scotia.

The beaver has long been the traditional emblem on Canada's five-cent coins. But its power as a symbol of the land we share goes back thousands of years, deeply connected to the heritage of First Nations people.

For 2017, that long symbolic history is vividly evoked on the new five-cent coin, Living Traditions. Its unique design features a beaver in the traditional style of the northeastern woodland tribes of the Algonkian people. It's a celebration of 150 years of cultures meeting, sharing and evolving together.

Living Traditions is part of the My Canada, My Inspiration 2017 coin collection designed by Canadians for Canadians.

The tie that binds these coins is the Canada 150 logo, whose mosaic of 13 triangular shapes – one for each province and territory – evokes memories of the 1967 emblem.

MEET THE ARTIST

"I was a young boy when I received my set of centennial coins by Alex Colville. I thought this was an amazing opportunity to participate in Canada's 150-year celebration."

A native Mi'kmaw artist from Nova Scotia, Gerald Gloade remembers the commemorative circulation coins issued for Canada's 100th anniversary with designs by the famous Canadian artist Alex Colville. Five decades later, Gloade is proud to be part of the country's 150th anniversary celebration with his winning entry, Living Traditions. Fusing the traditional and modern in a single design, Gloade's beaver emblem was created entirely on a tablet using digital tools — while carrying forward the style of Gloade's northeastern woodland Algonkian heritage.

WINGS OF PEACE 10-CENT COIN by Amy Choi

Calgary, Alberta
Canada's reputation as a peacekeeping nation is tied to our awareness as a country that we live within a global community. Our peace-seeking spirit is captured beautifully in Canada's new 10-cent coin for 2017, Wings of Peace. One continuous flow of lines sketches out a dynamic, iconic maple leaf that is clutched in the beak and also part of the dove itself. Like the olive branch, the Canadian maple leaf has become a worldwide symbol of hope, peace and good faith.

Wings of Peace is part of the My Canada, My Inspiration 2017 coin collection designed by Canadians for Canadians.

The tie that binds these coins is the Canada 150 logo, whose mosaic of 13 triangular shapes --one for each province and territory --evokes memories of the 1967 emblem.

MEET THE ARTIST
"Hopefully, one day, the offering of the maple leaf will be as symbolic as the offering of the olive branch."

Calgary's Amy Choi is not a trained artist, but her pride in the Canadian ideals of peacekeeping and multiculturalism inspired her to take pencil to paper and create Wings of Peace for the My Canada, My Inspiration coin collection. Choi's simple, elegant design captures Canada's peaceful, inclusive character and speaks to her admiration for all the country has managed to achieve in its 150 years as a nation. In Choi's view, Canada is a model of what being committed to peace and multiculturalism means, with its accomplishments representing "a major first step forward for the rest of the world and humankind".

HOPE FOR A GREEN FUTURE 25-CENT COIN by Joelle Wong, Richmond Hill, Ontario

The new 2017 25-cent coin, Hope for a Green Future, shares a child's hope that Canada's plants, animals and abundant nature will be protected and thrive for years to come.

The 25-cent coin, Hope for a Green Future features a pair of hands bringing life to a plant that connects all living things — represented by some notable Canadian animals.

A heartfelt wish and a call to action for all Canadians, Hope for a Green Future is part of the My Canada, My Inspiration 2017 coin collection designed by Canadians for Canadians.

The tie that binds these coins is the Canada 150 logo, whose mosaic of 13 triangular shapes – one for each province and territory – evokes memories of the 1967 emblem.

MEET THE ARTIST
"I was born here nine years ago. One hundred and fifty years is a very long time. Happy birthday to my beautiful homeland — Canada!"

When eight-year-old Joelle Wong learned of the My Canada, My Inspiration coin design contest, she immediately started thinking about images that would represent what the country means to her. Starting from a painting she had made for a school art project, and with a teacher's help in researching Canadian wildlife and Indigenous art techniques, Joelle channelled her appreciation for animals and green spaces into Hope for a Green Future, a design that shares her personal, heartwarming vision for a tomorrow in which all Canadians work together to preserve and protect nature and its creatures.

CONNECTING A NATION $1 COIN by Wesley Klassen, St. Catharines, Ontario

Canada is a vast country. The drive to bring us all closer together — from coast to coast to coast— has led to some amazing achievements, including the building of our massive nationwide railway system.

The new 2017 $1 coin, Connecting a Nation, pays tribute to Sir John A. Macdonald's vision of a national railway to unite the country — and celebrates the skill and drive that made that vision real through the steam age into the diesel era. Featuring impressive landmarks along the country's rail routes — from the Lion's Gate Bridge in British Columbia to the Grand Banks of the East Coast — its inspiring design is testament to our spirit of exploration and ingenuity, depicting the sights and scenes that call Canadians to each other — and the world to Canada.

Connecting a Nation is part of the My Canada, My Inspiration 2017 coin collection designed by Canadians for Canadians.

The tie that binds these coins is the Canada 150 logo, whose mosaic of 13 triangular shapes --one for each province and territory --evokes memories of the 1967 emblem.

MEET THE ARTIST

"All these images are in one way or another connected to the railroad, for which all Canadians can be forever grateful."

Wesley Klassen drew on the memories of his boyhood vacations when designing Connecting a Nation to celebrate Canada's 150th anniversary. Travelling from coast to coast exposed Klassen to the iconic landmarks and monumental achievements that continue to define our nation — with the national railway chief among them. To capture that experience and distill it into a single coin design, Klassen drew on the creative talents his parents encouraged from a young age. Having designed a Canadian commemorative circulation coin, Klassen has followed in the footsteps of his father, who designed the town crest for Niagara-on-the-Lake in 1971.

DANCE OF THE SPIRITS  $2 COIN by Timothy Hsia, Richmond, British Columbia

Our country is unlike anywhere else on Earth. The new 2017 $2 coin, Dance of the Spirits, celebrates the wonders of Canada with a design featuring the spectacular Aurora Borealis. Dance of the Spirits depicts paddlers gliding across a placid lake under the shimmering curtain of the Northern Lights — which the Cree peoples called "the dance of the spirits".

Dance of the Spirits is a historic issue created especially for Canada's 150th anniversary. It's part of the My Canada, My Inspiration 2017 coin collection designed by Canadians for Canadians.

MEET THE ARTIST

"Traditional Cree philosophy attributes the Northern Lights to a special moment when the Spirits manifest themselves, dancing, to the human eyes and minds below."

Growing up, Timothy Hsia's family home was adorned with prints of artworks by Canadian painters including Robert Bateman and Ted Harrison. Today as a family physician in British Columbia, Hsia continues to look at nature with a painter's eye — as evident in his contribution to the My Canada, My Inspiration 150th anniversary coin collection, Dance of the Spirits. Challenging himself to render the ever-shifting movement of the Northern Lights in a single, still image, he blended hand-drawn elements and computer design to bring the aurora borealis to life for all Canadians to share.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

<k>

So, this info needed to be saved, along with a better image.

You mention silver coins. These coins will presumably circulate in 2017 only, before being replaced once more by the regular circulation coins. Will real silver coins be circulating in Canada?

As for a 50c coin, I have heard that the Canadians, like the Americans, don't like that denomination. Is that true?

quaziright

Well, I have found a couple of silver quarters going through coin rolls. But no, silvers don't circulate. This set is just a one off if that's what you are asking. On the 50c, I've never found it in change. If you want one, you gotta buy a roll from the mint for $21+ tax and shipping. I tried asking at a few bank branches, but I've always got a sorry, we don't have those answer

<k>

I know it's a one-off. But will standard versions of it circulate - i.e. copper-nickel pieces instead of silver?

quaziright

The set is made of base metal with the same dimensions as any current circulating issues. I suppose the RCM will mint similar ones in precious metal or some colour scheme gimmick in limited quantities and sell those off as special collector sets.

<k>

The Royal Canadian Mint is proud to celebrate Canada's 150th anniversary with all new circulation coins - designed and chosen by Canadians, exclusively for 2017! Watch for them in your change, and hold onto them to remember the epic celebration of #Canada150.

Above you see an official announcement from the Royal Canadian Mint. The source is from the Mint's facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/RoyalCanadianMint/

It's nice to know the source of information, and on this site we are always interested in whether a coin or set will circulate - especially given the fact that these days more sets, that look like circulation sets, are actually just meant for collectors.

Bimat

So this is going to be a one year type set i.e. coins dated 2018 will be exactly like what we have today?

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

<k>

Quote from: Bimat on November 04, 2016, 09:24:31 AM
So this is going to be a one year type set

Yes, it's an anniversary so lasts only one year. The clue is in the title.  ;)

i.e. coins dated 2018 will be exactly like what we have today?

Not exactly - the date will be different.  ;)

Pabitra

So this is going to be a one year type set i.e. coins dated 2018 will be exactly like what we have today?
Yes. This is the current trend to issue a full set to commem some event.
This year it is Australia and last year it was Oman.
India also did one set on RBI jubilee.

quaziright

Quote from: Pabitra on November 04, 2016, 01:26:44 PM
Yes. This is the current trend to issue a full set to commem some event.
This year it is Australia and last year it was Oman.
India also did one set on RBI jubilee.

Its not a "current trend" in Canada's case. The country issued a similar set way back in 1967 for the centennial celebrations. Even back then, collectors knew they were going to have something similar for the 125th anniversary (which didn't happen) and the 150th. 

<k>