Author Topic: DELHI SULTAN - Nasir ud din Mahmud billon  (Read 1362 times)

Offline drnsreedhar

• Meritorious Member
DELHI SULTAN - Nasir ud din Mahmud billon
« on: October 18, 2016, 07:21:24 PM »
Here is a billon coin of Nasir ud din Mahmud, horseman-legend type. Please comment and add missing info.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 08:17:57 PM by capnbirdseye »
Dr.Sreedhar

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: DELHI SULTAN - Nasir ud din Mahmud billon
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 08:05:15 PM »
Nice coin ! But as often with these you need multiple specimen to make sense of the depiction and legend. This is type Tye#405.1.
I always found the legend of this to be a bit of a mess.
Below i added one of mine. I also copied one from an earlier thread on WoC to provide material for comparison.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 06:13:55 PM by THCoins »

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 08:06:10 PM »
Now with three it becomes a bit easier.
My coin clearly shows part of the "d" of Mahmud. To explain the part above the backend of the horse a reading of "Mahmudin" "محمود ين" would be a possibility. However this ين is also present on the coins of Masud, and there it makes less sense.
In front of the horse is supposed to read "Sri Hamira". But the "مر" in front of Mahmud on your coin is not well explained then.

The legend side content is quite standard and starts with Al Sultan / al-Azam. But the end of azam bends down. Then comes "Nasir". Because of what's on the next line, there should also be the beginning of "al-Du". The last line then concludes with "-niya wa al-din".

If you look at the loop at the top of the line that represents the horseman your see two loops on mine, one on the two others. The two-loop design more resembles the design of the bull and horseman jitals of Masud (Tye#401/402). This might indicate that mine is a bit earlier and yours a bit later during the reign of Mahmud.

Anthony
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 06:14:52 PM by THCoins »

Offline drnsreedhar

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 08:44:03 PM »
Great info Anthony. Thanks.
Dr.Sreedhar

Offline drnsreedhar

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 02:04:26 PM »
On thinking over the "مر" part seen in front of the horse on my coin, I consider a possibility like this. constructing a little tail to "مر" makes it something like "Sri" of devanagari (though sri hamira is struck in Nagari and not Devanagari). "ha" of hamira is visible just beyond that. I think that it is sort of a corrupt form of "sri". Is that not a strong possibility?
Dr.Sreedhar

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 02:34:33 PM »
I think you are correct in this assertion. I just assumed there still should be a typical Nagari/Sharada "Sri", but after 1200 AD there already was a transition to the Devanagari type. This form of Sri indeed very much resembles that that is seen on the contemporary Gadhaiya paisa types from Malwa.

Offline drnsreedhar

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 02:46:16 PM »
Thank you Anthony for confirming my assertion. I will now go with it.
Dr.Sreedhar

Offline drnsreedhar

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 09:27:42 AM »
Posting a recent addition of the same ruler with a better visible "sri" in front of the horseman. And there is something like a scalloped circle around the legend.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 09:52:21 AM by drnsreedhar »
Dr.Sreedhar

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 10:32:11 AM »
Quite a satisfactory analysis, drnsreedhar. It took you two some 18 months, but you got all the coin's secrets, making this a sparkling thread as well as an example to other collectors what amazing results team work, knowledge and patience can achieve.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline gerard974

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2018, 10:53:14 AM »
Hello
I am really admiring in front of the work which you made and especially in front of your knowledge
congratulations

Gerard

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2018, 03:06:31 PM »
Another thread that seemingly passed me by as it's not indexed  ???

I have an example of this coin here, I thought I'd show it as it shows some of the legend in front of the Horse
Vic

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2018, 07:26:16 PM »
Nice to see this thread gradually expanding and inproving !
The nicer threads will pop-up once in a while, and give Vic another chance to further perfectionize the already great index !