Author Topic: Malwa Sultanate - Muhammad shah-1, AE Falus, Shadiabad  (Read 833 times)

Offline drnsreedhar

• Meritorious Member
Malwa Sultanate - Muhammad shah-1, AE Falus, Shadiabad
« on: October 16, 2016, 02:23:44 PM »
One of my favourites. Comments please
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 09:21:27 PM by capnbirdseye »
Dr.Sreedhar

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Malwa Sultanate - Muhammad shah-1
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 02:47:15 PM »
Why is this one of your favourites, drnsreedhar?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline drnsreedhar

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 08:20:23 PM »
Why is this one of your favourites, drnsreedhar?

Peter

It is one of my favourites because of a funny reason. This coin issued by Muhammad of Malwa (1435-36) is stunningly similar in style to a copper coin -D667 of G&G- of  the contemporary Delhi ruler Muhammad  (1434-45). Both read "Muhammad as sultan" on the obv. On the reverse they share "dar ul mulk". Only difference that signifies their identity is "Delhi" on the Delhi issue and "Shadiabad" on the Malwa one both being their mint town.  And that only difference reminds a very strange instance in history. Muhammad of Malwa was a drunkard and was followed by his son Mahmud. The same Mahmud was invited by the nobles of Delhi to replace the Muhammad of Delhi who was lost to pleasures. Though it did not fully happen, one common Mahmud having had a chance to follow two contemporary Muhammads who have issued look-alike coins and had behavioural similarity who belonged to two different Sultanates is an interesting coincidence in history. I cannot resist loving this tiny piece of metal that reminds me of all these that happened more than six centuries ago!!! ;D
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 08:27:58 AM by drnsreedhar »
Dr.Sreedhar

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 08:50:02 PM »
Interesting background story i was not aware of. Thanks for sharing !