Author Topic: Madurai Sultanate - Coin of Nasir ud din Mahmud Damghan  (Read 1051 times)

Offline drnsreedhar

• Meritorious Member
Madurai Sultanate - Coin of Nasir ud din Mahmud Damghan
« on: October 15, 2016, 01:57:37 PM »
Nazir ud din Mahmud Damghan-1344-1356 AD
It is difficult to differentiate this from some issues of Delhi. But the meem of azam crossing the bordering circle is seen in Damghn coins. 
Dr.Sreedhar

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Madurai Sultanate - Coin of Nasir ud din Mahmud Damghan
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 02:50:06 PM »
With this coin in hand, maybe you can help capnbirdseye here?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 04:56:26 PM »
Nazir ud din Mahmud Damghan-1344-1356 AD
It is difficult to differentiate this from some issues of Delhi. But the meem of azam crossing the bordering circle is seen in Damghn coins.

How about this coin that's been in my junk box for a long time, this coin has part legends with both sides out of the circle,   also i think I read that Madura types are more finely engraved ?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 05:37:00 PM by capnbirdseye »
Vic

Offline drnsreedhar

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 09:07:51 PM »
@capnbirdseye
Thank you for the post. Your coin has very close similarity to the Mahmud Damghan coin. I feel that the obverse can be re-constructed in two ways
1. considering it as nasir ud dunya wa aldin as on the Madurai coin MD20 of G&G (bottom picture)
2.considering as giyaz ud dunya wa aldin as on the Delhi coin D168 of G&G. (top picture)

The figure of MD20 in the book shows a lined border around the legend. But unfortunately, it is not clear if there is another dotted border outside that one. My coin has a dotted outer line. "Na" of Nazir is off flan. What remains can be read as "zir". So it is presumed that the preceding part is "Na". 

The figure of D168 shows both a broken line border and a border of dots outside that on both sides. In capnbirdseye's coin, there is no dotted circle found on the reverse. "Alif" of "as sultan" is close to the dot in the picture in the book. Unfortunately that part is off the flan on the coin image of capnbirdseye.

We have to presume that there is a dotted circle outside the lined circle on both varieties.

Considering the part that is to make the "zir" part of Nasir on your coin (outlined in green on the middle image), it is a bit different from the Madurai coin style. That resembles "z" of Giyaz on the Delhi coin. So though not absolutely sure, I am more inclined to think that it is an issue of Giyaz ud din Balban.

Tariq, Dr.Abhishek and Saikat might be able to contribute more. Please consider sending PM to them.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 09:29:17 PM by drnsreedhar »
Dr.Sreedhar