Iran, Safavids / Shah 'Abbas I mahmudi (2 shahi) of Shushtar mint, dated 1005 AH

Started by saro, October 02, 2016, 06:25:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saro

Ag / 3,80g - 18 x 20mm / this 2 shahi coin was called "mahmudi"
Mintname and date  "1005" are in the central cartouche (right picture)
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

aws22

Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

Figleaf

@saro: there is an odd sign at 3 and 4 o'clock on the left picture. Looks like the command key on a Macintosh computer. Is it a decorative set of characters, a decoration or proof that Abbas I used a Mac?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

saro

Quote from: Figleaf on October 03, 2016, 10:00:12 AM
there is an odd sign at 3 and 4 o'clock on the left picture.
I see it at 9 and 10 o'clock... ;)
May be a stylised apple ?  :D !!
May be also an ornament inspired by Ottomans ? it is often found on ottoman coins of this time; hereafter : on a silver coin of Murad I

aws22

Dear Peter and Saro, it is the word "Mohammed" written in some form of ornamental calligraphy, for those who deal with such writing, they make such shapes especially on Islamic books or names. As Saro mentioned such type of ornamentation is seen on Ottoman coins and Ottoman calligraphy work.

Maythem

Manzikert

aws22

Thank you Alan, this is a similar type of calligraphic carving of the word "Mohammed".

saro

Quote from: aws22 on October 03, 2016, 01:32:26 PM
Dear Peter and Saro, it is the word "Mohammed" written in some form of ornamental calligraphy, for those who deal with such writing, they make such shapes especially on Islamic books or names.
Maythem

Everyday we learn something on WoC  :), I never made the link between this ornament and its calligraphic origin; thank you Maythem to have pointed that.

(this "ornament"is followed, on right, by "Muhammad" written twice)