News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Huge batch of coins

Started by gpimper, April 29, 2019, 05:22:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gpimper

My daughter and I picked three buckets of crusty uncleaned coins last year at an estate sale.  This batch of coins is so diverse we are having a really hard time sorting and identifying (not to mention cleaning!).  It spans over 2000 years and goes from China to France.  The history is mind-blowing amazing and we are a bit overwelled.  WoCs has been a huge help...please bear with us though our journey...we'll try not be overwilling ;-)  We are excited but will try to slow our pace.  Thank you!  Greg and Catie!  Total armatures but getting better!
The Chief...aka Greg

Arminius

Concerning cleaning: Don´t waste your time on `slugs´.
Start only on promising pieces using gentle methods first (oil, water and soap, nylon brushes).

If these gentle trials don´t help decide if it´s worth to go on and risk to create a worthless ruin.

:)

THCoins

The learning curve may be a bit steep at times. But this is a great opportunity to gain experience !

gpimper

We've experimented from distilled water all the way to electrolysis...soap and water and an old toothbrush seems to be the most effective unless they are just totally crusty...that takes more extreme measures.  We've identified about half of our coins that didn't turn out to be slugs.  It's really been a pretty amazing experience.  I've an 11 year old who could tell you more world history than most adults :-) 
The Chief...aka Greg

bruce61813

I know this is almost a year old, but one comment. If you do use electrolysis, please don't  use use salt (NaCl). It will damage the coins due to excessive heat. Use baking soda in the water instead. It conducts less, and the lower current prevents burning.

Bruce

gpimper

Bruce, we found that out the hard way.  Now we know.
The Chief...aka Greg

brandm24

A hard way to learn, Greg, but it teaches things you always remember. I screwed up more times than I care to remember in my 65 years of collecting, but haven't repeated any of them. :)

Bruce
Always Faithful