Crimean Mosque on Ukrainian Commemorative

Started by Bimat, January 29, 2015, 03:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bimat

Crimean mosque in Ukrainian coin

Ukraine (NBU) has introduced 5 and 10 hryvna coins dedicated to Crimean mosque of Uzbek Khan.

National Bank of Ukraine (NBU) has introduced 5 and 10 hryvna coins dedicated to Crimean mosque of Uzbek Khan and Madrassa built in Crimea in 1314.

The 10 hryvna coin is made of silver, while 5 hryvna coin made of German silver-- a copper alloy with nickel and often zinc. 2000 copies of each coin were issued.

The design of two coins is the same. There is small coat of arms of Ukraine at the obverse and an inscription "Natsional'niy bank Ukrainy" (National Bank of Ukraine), nominal value of the coin and the year: 2014.

At the reverse of the coin there is the mosque of Öz Beg Khan and Crimean Tatar "ESKI QIRIM. ÖZBEK HAN CAMISI VE MEDRESE" and Ukrainian "MECHET' KHANA UZBEKA I MEDRESE" inscriptions.

According to Ukraine Mufti Said Ismagilov, by printing money that way, Ukraine shows that it still claim on the Crimea.

Uzbek Khan Mosque

The mosque was built by Khan Uzbek, an adherent of Islam. This mosque is, in fact, the oldest mosque in the Crimea. Nowadays it looks like a basilica-type rectangular building with a built-in minaret in the north-east corner and an entrance from the north.

The construction started in 1314; two years after Khan Uzbek ascended the throne of Golden Horde. A Turkish traveler Evliya Celebi mentioned in his notes that under the ruling of Menli Giray in 1512-1513 there used to be a cathedral mosque.

Source: World Bulletin
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Miner

Yes, source World Bulletin no hurry with the news - coins issued more than three months ago, in October

Bimat

Quote from: Miner on January 29, 2015, 05:03:14 PM
Yes, source World Bulletin no hurry with the news - coins issued more than three months ago, in October

Wasn't aware of that, thanks! :)

I think it's still significant that a mosque is being depicted on a modern European coin. :)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Miner

i agree with you. Here are photos of the copper-nickel coin, silver I have not

quaziright

Al-hambra already exists on Spain's 2€ coin

Bimat

Quote from: quaziright on January 29, 2015, 09:15:25 PM
Al-hambra already exists on Spain's 2€ coin

Good point! Completely missed out that one. ::)

Any other examples?

Aditya

Figleaf

Not quite. The Alhambra is a palace, not a mosque. The closest may be the Mezquita of Cordoba.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

quaziright

bgriff99

This seems to be a political and ethnic statement.   How did this building not get demolished under Stalin?

natko

Quote from: Bimat on January 29, 2015, 05:04:36 PM
I think it's still significant that a mosque is being depicted on a modern European coin. :)

Do you count Bosnia&Herzegovina? ;) Several examples on Pobjoy-minted pieces.

chrisild

If a mosque is a historic monument (Unesco or otherwise), it may well appear on a European coin. Except that in Western Europe there are hardly any old mosques. But if we look further east ... natko mentioned some, and Russia for example issued a collector coin dedicated to the Märcani Mosque in Kazan.

Christian