ANGOLA: New circulating coins of 20, 50 and 100 kwanzas

Started by Jostein, December 23, 2014, 02:22:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bimat

It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

malawi

Hello friends !
Today I received the coin of 20 Kwanzas , elegant and beautiful coin !!!!
interesting news about new 50 and 100 Kwanzas !! :
The designs of the new coins of 50 and 100 kwanzas that will replace banknotes of equal value will be chosen through a competition, the National Bank of Angola (BNA) said.
The competition runs until 30 January and will select the motifs to appear on the face of the two new coins, and the selection panel will be led by the National Union of Artists and Ministry of Culture staff, as well as from the BNA.
The chosen designer will win a cash prize of 1 million kwanzas, according to the Angolan central bank.
The central bank announced the introduction of the new coins with a face value of 50 and 100 kwanzas by 11 November, 2015, when Angola celebrates the 40th anniversary of its independence.
In December a new 20-kwanza coin was put into circulation and at the end of this year Angola will have seven coins and five banknotes of different face values in circulation.  MDT/Macauhub

malawi

update :
The National Bank of Angola (BNA) will take on the design new 50 and 100 kwanza coins alluding to the 40 years of national independence, to replace notes of equal value, after a failed public competition for their design, the bank announced.
In a statement issued Monday, the central bank reported that "none of the proposals considered met the requirements for the theme" in the competition to design the two new coins, which took place throughout the month of January.
For this reason, the bank said it reserves "the right to develop a proposed design," for one of the sides used on these coins.
The contest was open to all residents in Angola and provided for the selection of visual motifs for both sides of the new coins, and was organised by the National Union of Artists, as well as involving the Ministry of Culture and the BNA.
The Angolan central bank is preparing to introduce coins with a face value of 50 and 100 kwanzas by November this year, which marks the 40th anniversary of Angola's independence.
At the end of 2015 Angola will have seven different coins and five banknotes.  MDT/Macauhub

source :
http://macaudailytimes.com.mo/national-bank-of-angola-to-design-new-coins.html

Pabitra

After having issued bimetallic 20 Kwanza coin, do you think that they would not go for bimetallic coins for higher denomination coins?
They may perhaps end up in bimetallic coins series like Kenya or Mexico.

The design competition was not globally marketed else our members would have contributed great designs.

natko

Everything is possible, they could like some other African countries introduce smaller thicker coins. They already have 3 bimetallic denominations, 5 may be too much, but Mexico has 5 circulating too.

Pabitra

I agree with you but then lowest two denomination may have met their demise.
Not many countries can boast of a ratio of 200 between highest and lowest denomination coins ( European Union being an aberration).

malawi

the article says:
-new 50 and 100 kwanza coins alluding to the 40 years of national independence, to replace notes of equal value
and :
- At the end of 2015 Angola will have seven different coins and five banknotes
So , banknotes of 50 and 100 kwanzas (put into circulation in 2012) will be eliminated from circulation?

Bimat

Angola: Govt Approves Issuance of Akz 50, 100 Coins

Luanda — Cabinet Council Wednesday analysed and approved a proposal allowing the National Reserve Bank of Angola (BNA) to issue and put into circulation the facial coins of 50 and 100 Kwanzas.

This was during its 3rd Session chaired by Head of State, José Eduardo dos Santos, held at Presidential Palace in Luanda.

According to a note from Cabinet Council distributed to the press, the issuance and circulation of the said coins are part of celebrations of the 40th anniversary of the National Independence of Angola.

The draft law and other proposals will be submitted to the National Assembly (Parliament) for their approval.

Source: All Africa
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Jostein

Some rejected 50kz and 100z coins designs (all bimetallics  ;) ):

Evadilson Ferreira  (50 and 100 kz): https://www.behance.net/gallery/24129121/Moeda-de-50-kwanza-dinheiro-de-Angola
Miguel Gonçalves (100 kz): http://www.redeangola.info/banco-central-assume-desenho-de-novas-moedas/

What do you think? The new coins will be bimetallics? I think so, maybe the 50kz will be inverted of 20 kz (copper center, silver ring) while the 100z maybe will be bimetallic shaped...(all of this are suppositions hahaha)

Greetings!
"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future" - John F. Kennedy

http://www.bimetallic-coins.com

<k>

Excellent designs, Jostein. You should post them in the "Unrealised designs" board.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Pabitra

Quote from: Jostein on April 23, 2015, 08:18:11 PM
What do you think? The new coins will be bimetallics? I think so, maybe the 50kz will be
inverted of 20 kz (copper center, silver ring) while the 100z maybe will be bimetallic
shaped...(all of this are suppositions hahaha)

Great thinking.
Hopefully it comes true.
Which mint minted 20 kz coin?
Earlier, the set was minted by Russia mint, St. Petersburg.

Which mint other than the Royal mint has capacity to make shaped bimetallics?

Jostein

Good idea <k> I'll do it!

Pabitra, i'm not sure at all but i think that the first new coin series were minted in the Portuguese Mint.

It's my idea for the new coins features  :)

I've no idea if any other mint can make bimetallic shaped coins, but for example Spain or Singapore have them.
"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future" - John F. Kennedy

Pabitra

Quote from: Jostein on April 24, 2015, 09:44:23 AM
I've no idea if any other mint can make bimetallic shaped coins, but for example Spain or Singapore have them.
Singapore coin is not a circulating coin.
Which coin of Spain are you referring to?
In WMF, Schuler press has been distributing bimetallic tokens as sample product of their non-circular bimetallic blank making press for quite some time.
At one point, it was proposed to ECB that 1 and 2 cents coins be stopped and 5 euro notes be replaced by bimetallic shaped coin. Most of the mints opposed it since it required capital investment.
3 Euro by Slovenia and  5 Euro of Finland are circular bimetallic.
Even Royal mint proposes to issue one pound non circular bimetallic only by 2017.

Jostein

Hi Pabitra

Now I can remember that Cabo Verde and Sierra Leone has got bimetallic shaped coins, 100 escudos and 500 leone coins respectively. By another hand the improvement of techbology would be the same that in the case of the introduction of bimetallic coins at Eurozone, when countries like Ireland, Germany, Begium, Netherlands or Spain never before minted a bimetallic coin...

Pd: the Spanish shaped bimetallic non concentric coins isnt for circulation neither (€300 gold/silver)

Pabitra

Thanks for the info.
I remember having seen a few square bimetallic fantasies of some country like Kurdistan or Pembra in WMF, so I assume there are a few mints who have bought the new presses.

Yes, making a few pieces at a cost much higher than face value is possible but generally, there has been a trend towards circular coins so as to obtain higher efficiency in blank cutting from sheets.

When you talk of non circular bimetallic, it could be either the "ring" or "core" or even both.

I have tokens made of all three types.