Author Topic: Vidharba Janapada: Punch Mark Coin(s), 1/2 Karshapanas, ABCC Type, Ca 500-400 BC  (Read 3315 times)

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
Coin 1

Vidarbha Janapada, ca 500-400 BC, Half Karshapana, Silver, 1.72g, Wainganga/Painganga River Valley/Basin ABCC type, Elephant facing left with crescent over back, 6 pointed Star with dots, 2 Triangle encircled by 3 Taurines and dots

Coin 2

Vidarbha Janapada, ca 500-400 BC, Half Karshapana, Silver, 1.74g, Wainganga/Painganga River Valley/Basin ABCC type, Elephant facing left, Taurine within square border, 2 Treskelis with dotted borders

Coin 3

Vidarbha Janapada, ca 500-400 BC, Half Karshapana, Silver, 1.71g, Wainganga/Painganga River Valley/Basin ABCC type, Elephant facing right (rare), Dog/Fox like animal with Taurine on back, 2 six-petal lotus flower with dots

« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 12:36:33 PM by mitresh »
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

Online Abhay

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Vidharba Janapada: Punch Mark Coin(s), ABCC Type (4 symbols)
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 09:28:41 AM »
Nice Coins. At 1.7 Grams, these are all Half Karshapanas.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
Re: Vidharba Janapada: Punch Mark Coin(s), ABCC Type (4 symbols)
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 11:42:36 AM »
Yes, you are right Abhay,  I forgot to mention in my original post but I've corrected it now.

A note on the ABCC pattern

The ABCC type refers to the configuration or arrangement pattern of the 4 symbols punched on these uniface coins. The Obverse displays two different symbols (A, B) placed opposite one another and one pair of another symbol (C, C) placed opposite to the A, B symbols. The only constant symbol in the series is an elephant with minor variations (A) with the other symbol (B) varying in execution  while the symbol visible in a pair (C, C) is punched/struck from a single die.

Vidharba Janapada formed part of Chedi, one of the 16 Mahajanapadas during ca 600 BC, before it carved its independence around 500-400 BC. Vidharbha finds mention in the Mahabharata together with its ruler, Bhima, and Nala-Damyanti who were Bhima's son-in-law and daughter, respectively. These coins are also referred to in some Auction Catalogues as Wainganga / Painganga type referring to the River Basin or River Valley area of Eastern Maharashtra southwest to Nagpur, where these coins were unearthed. Modern Vidarbha comprises of Nagpur and Amravati in Eastern Maharashtra.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 06:06:28 PM by mitresh »

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
Chris hi!, For some more examples of Punch Mark Coins from the Mahajanapadas, see here, here, here, here, here, here, and here

Offline RG

• Meritorious Member
One more example from my collection. A recent addition.
Punch Marked, Attributed to Vidarbha Janapada, Silver, 1/2 Karshapana, 1.74g, four symbol series of ABCC type, Obv: 1 X Elephant walking to left joined crescent above, 1 X downward Taurine within dotted border and 2 X six pointed star with small circle on each corner, Rev: Traces of earlier symbols.
Pic courtesy to Auction catalogue.

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
Lovely coin Ramesh, congrats.

Offline RG

• Meritorious Member
Thanks Mitresh Sir.

Offline jaspersaini

Sharing one of my coin from the Vidharba Janpada, I think it's also ABCC type coin, with elephant facing left.

1.57 Gm - 16.7 mm

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
Lovely coin

Offline RG

• Meritorious Member
Lovely coin. So more than one design is used for that star/flower shaped thing...

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Superb pictures in this thread.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline RG

• Meritorious Member
Picture missing Mitresh sir

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
Re-attached manually today.

I had uploaded all my coin pics to site "Coinnetwork.com" that was unexplainably taken down by its owner without any advance notice to its members, hence lost all my coin images as well as blog articles and other supporting pics!

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Thank you, Mitresh. Your pictures and comments are safe here. I soon hope to announce further positive developments on the continuity of the site.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.