Author Topic: Akbar: Quatrefoil Mohur of Dar ul Khilafat Agra Mint  (Read 1212 times)

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
Akbar: Quatrefoil Mohur of Dar ul Khilafat Agra Mint
« on: May 22, 2013, 08:00:43 AM »
Mughal Empire, Jalal uddin Muhammad Akbar, Gold Mohur, 10.82g, Dar ul Khilafat Agra mint, AH 977/1570 AD, Quatrefoil type

The date on this coin ie AH 977/1570 AD is just a year later when Akbar finally returned to his capital, Agra, following his victorius campaign against the Rajputs in Chittor (1568) and Ranthambore (1569). On his return to Agra, he laid the foundation of a new city in Sikri village near Agra in 1569 AD and called it Fatehpur Sikri (City of Victory). His next military campaign was against Gujarat in 1572-73 AD when he took Ahmedabad and Surat.

The mint epithet 'Dar ul Khilafat' was used to denote Akbar's presence in that place/city in the year in which the coin was struck.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 03:11:46 PM by mitresh »
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Akbar: Quatrefoil Mohur of Dar ul Khilafat Agra Mint
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 11:46:46 AM »
Probably like many of you, I walked around in the abandoned city of Fatehpur Sikri. It told me that Akbar was much more complicated than an empire builder. Of course, the opulence, magnificence and taste of the place was impressive, but there were also buildings for consorts of different religions, signalling his open mind and tolerance. There was the very fact that Fatehpur Sikri was abandoned because the place was badly chosen, showing Akbar's capacity to be wrong and there was his bedroom with the nearby toilet, showing his disarming human side. Even empire builders are not watertight at night. :)

This coin shows Akbar's empire building and glory side. I think it needs the company of other, inglorious, hard to identify, maybe even erroneous Akbar coins to show the greatness of the complete man.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Abhay

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 01:55:48 PM »
I remember reading somewhere that Fatehpur Sikri had to be abandoned because of the scarcity of Water. This is true even today. The whole area is short of Water.

Though Fatehpur Sikri is hardly 120 KMs from Gwalior, I have yet to see it. Although I have passed 100s of time while on way to Jaipur, I have always missed seeing Fatehpur Sikri.

Meanwhile, here is my similar coin, but from Delhi Mint.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 03:09:03 PM »
Very nice coin, Abhay. Perfectly centred Obverse. Delight to view. Thanks for sharing.
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.