News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Farrukhsiyar - Mint Azamnagar Gokak. RY 2.

Started by asm, January 31, 2013, 12:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asm

There was a short discussion on a similar coin of RY 6 of the same mint and ruler earlier. However this one seems to be RY 2. Again the same attribution?

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Oesho

QuoteHowever this one seems to be RY 2. Again the same attribution?
Yes, but Ry.2 is much more scarce.

asm

Thank you Oesho for the information.

I post two more coins of this mint and Ruler RY 6. One seems dated AH 1125 (if the circle at about 7 O'clock on the coin is the last digit of the date) and the other one seems to be 1127.

I am confused since 1125 would be more matching RY 2 rather than 6. However your coin also shows a clear date 1125 / 6. RY 6 also does not match AH 1127. What would be the reason? I have also have a coin of Muhammad Shah also with the RY 6.........

Can any one throw some light on this?

asm

Some more queries on the coins:

1) The second coin in the previous post shows the mint name clearly Azamnagar but the way the lower part (Gokak) seems to be written, I am not sure that this one too is of the same mint............Please help confirm. All the coins on Zeno as well as SACG have the name written out differently.

2) the SACG coin cabinet lists these coins as of Azimnagar instead of Azamnagar.........a typo?

Amit

asm

The mint name on the first coin I posted in this topic reads Gohkak and not Gokak............My question as I put in the previous post is now of some value.....there are three coins all attributed to Azamnagar Gokak but it appears that the mint name is engraved differently on each one of the three..........(This was the only reason why I picked up all three coins from one source even though the price demand was a bit higher than I would normally have agreed............).

Can one of the experts in transliterating the coins please step in.............I can provide the images by mail if required.

Of course the next query would be, why was the name of the mint town engraved differently while the name of the district was not altered at all.....

Amit

akona20

Hi,

Please send the images to me for investigation. Ansari and I recently discussed this mint for a slightly later ruler noting some minor "irregularities". I also may add to another discussion we are having on another mint where I believe the name is spelled incorrectly out of lack of knowledge of the correct spelling but the coins have been conveniently put as from another mint town at that time.

Ansari

Well I concluded the same for first coin also :)
but on looking at a better picture at Zeno its clear that the mint name is written as (Gokak) not (Gohkak). Actually this coin has seen some tough owners who cleaned the same using some hard methods which has damaged small details.

Ansari

The last line is certainly confusing, Any possibility that Azamnagar & Azamnagar Gokak are two different mints?

asm

Azamnagar is the new name for Belgaum after it was taken by the Mughals under Azam Shah. I have been told that Azam Nagar would designate the area / district and Gokak the mint. There were a few other mints in that area too.

Amit

akona20

Ansari and I discussed this mint recently for a hypothesis regarding Gokak. There is of course a place name of Azam Nagar at Belgaum in the same general region but I hve not researched that but Belgaum Fort or what is now Belgaum Fort is interesting in possibilities. I see asm has posted before I finished. There is some research perhaps needed in the dates.

Just a passing thought.