Author Topic: Kaikaus Tanka! Mint and date please.  (Read 1156 times)

Offline Md. Shariful Islam

• Honorary Member
  • Tonk>Tanka>Taka
    • Coins of Medieval Bengal
Kaikaus Tanka! Mint and date please.
« on: November 24, 2012, 01:08:47 PM »
Sorry for asking for same help again. I guess this coin has mint name on the flan or it is part of date. The coin has a nice story. The seller did not want to sell. But agreed to swap with a Sher Shah rupee. I saw collectorship in the Jeweller this time. But he is one who likes cleaned coins. I picked this cleaned one and had to accept that the swaped one will be cleaned :(. This coin is so beautiful. Not a single shroff mark.

Islam
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 03:40:48 PM by capnbirdseye »

• Honorary Member
  • Tonk>Tanka>Taka
Re: Kaikaus Tanka! Mint and date please.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 02:18:46 PM »
Mint is off flan. Bad luck again. In most of my coins of this time I find this part seen showing that the coin is a silver coin and mint and date is off flan. I don't know the cause.

Islam

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 04:27:42 PM »
This is a Bengal issue of Rukn al-Din Kaikaus, struck at Lakhnauti. Date is not readable.
Ref.: G/G B89.

• Honorary Member
  • Tonk>Tanka>Taka
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 08:03:12 PM »
Probably I have found something interesting. G/G lists two types B88 and B89 and both of them as from Lakhnauti (none as Hadrat as prefix). None of the listed ones shows the mint name as they are off flan. This coin shows the side of the mint name and I read 'Hadrat' as prefix. Therefore, this coin is not listed. Secondly the style of the inscriptions on the margin matches very closely with B95 (Tanka of Shams al Din Firuz from Hadrat Banga mint). I presume this coin as from unlisted one from Hadrat Banga mint. Needs confirmation from seniors fellows. Comment please.

Islam

Offline nnasir

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 10:21:30 AM »
All of the Kaikaus coins bear Hadrat epithet. There r two distinguishable variety. One with min Kharaj (789 & 790 AH only) and others withour Min kharaj legend. Since there is no variation, epithet was not mentioned in the book.