Author Topic: Sultans of Malwa, Falus struck in the name of Mahmud III of Gujarat, AH 946  (Read 1588 times)

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
I can't find this one although it's probably glaringly obvious  :o  it looks a bit different somehow,   it's got parts of date on both sides?

weight 9.91g  AE20
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 10:25:05 PM by capnbirdseye »
Vic

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
Re: Sultanate coin to identify
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 04:29:26 PM »
These coins are attributed to the Sultans of Malwa, but struck in the name of Mahmud III of Gujarat AH944-949/AD1537-1542.
Ref.: M216, Falus of 96 rati, date AH946.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
Re: Sultanate coin to identify
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 04:40:34 PM »
Thank you Jan, I can see it now, what I thought was numerals on the reverse is the word Mahmud with a crack through it, date is obvious as 946
Vic

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Re: Sultans of Malwa, Falus struck in the name of Mahmud III of Gujarat, AH 946
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 06:31:48 PM »
I have always wondered why G&G list the coins of the conquering emperor as a part of the vanquished state coinage......like this when the coin was issued by a reining monarch of the Gujarat Sultanate when he conquered Malwa.......so Malwa (or a part of it) was then under the Sultans of Gujarat. I always went by the book but then Salvete taught me to think differently......

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 09:01:08 PM »
The preference of Stan Goron to include these issues with Malwa is quite reasonable. The Malwa issues (despite they may be regarded as issues of a foreign oppressor) differ considerable from the Gujarat issues. The Malwa issues are of a typical fabric with mint-marks common to the Malwa coinage. Therefore it is obvious that they belong to Malwa and should not be included with the Gujarat issues.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 03:39:32 AM »
Thanks for the explanation Oesho. So the clubbing of a series done by G&G is more by the fabric of the coin and the marks on them than by the then current issuing authority.........the same as followed by KM for the IPS issues........where a lot of IPS issues are listed as Mughal even though the area had long ceased to be Mughal controlled.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 12:47:04 PM »
See as, for instance, the coins in the name of Queen Victoria. She was Queen of India, but also Australia, Canada, Ceylon, etc. Nevertheless the coins in her name are not listed as issues of England, but are regarded as issues of the countries for which they were issued.

Similar the coins of Mahmud III of Gujarat were struck in, and issued for, Malwa and are therefore belong to Malwa.

Another example, when the Kings of Spain, became also Kings of Portugal (1580 - 1640) the coinage for this period is still listed as a separate (3rd.) dynasty under Portugal.

Offline drnsreedhar

• Meritorious Member
Another mischievous M216. The date is very funny. Date at first look feels like 321. If the 1 is alif of "al fazl", it is 32 and a 9 might be before that. But 932 cannot be right for Mahmud-III. So  ???.
Dr.Sreedhar