News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Celtic enigma

Started by Figleaf, April 12, 2012, 10:33:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

Members of the French language Numismatique forum have not fully succeeded in identifying this piece, though I think they got a good lead far with the Celtic Vindelici tribe mentioned here. Trouble is, it also shows some characteristics of Merovingian coinage. Can anyone get us closer?

This is a small silver coin: 2.2 cm, 0.5 gram

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

redwine

I've got nowhere finding it :-[
Fascinating piece though and the person who struck it must have been on a decent wine ;D
Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.

Figleaf

I think the cross on the upper picture is surrounded by two words, separated by a dot on each side. I read the lower word as STO?T. The missing letter cannot be U, because it didn't yet exist, or N, because it was formed differently. The upper word may be ?IC, where ? is the same letter as below. No title of nobility...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Figleaf

Epiphany: what if the mystery letter is an R and the word above is RIChard?

Peter

redwine

Still no luck.  The combination of triskele and isosceles triangle is all Greek to me :(
I see three triangles on the reverse betwixt the legs.

Arminius

Never saw anything like this before.
As it looks to me: What about a modern fantasy production for tourists or visitors (maybe a silver token souvenir from a medieval event show or knight-market).

???

Figleaf

I would have accepted that if it would have been round and made of something cheaper than silver...

Peter

Arminius

Look at the surface, it´s rather perfect for a medieval silver.

At least until 2-3 years ago, when distrust in Euro stability increased some metal prices, the local medieval events also produced silver token issues.
On some of these "mints" everyone was invited to hammer his own shaped metal. Some untrained in using tools, especially children, needed several strikes to create some visible result deforming a flan to a "coin" ...

:-\

redwine

I'll have to find one of those festivals  8)
A bit like this one
http://www.kelticos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=682

FosseWay

I'm going to preface this by saying that I don't know a great deal about Celtic coinage, so may well be speaking out of the wrong orifice, but anyway...

It doesn't say Celtic to me. The cross wasn't a particularly notable design element for pre-Christians AFAIK, and the particular style of the cross (4 wedge-shapes) looks more medieval to me.

Also, my limited experience of Celtic coins is that they include very little text. If there's any writing at all on Celtic coins, it tends simply to be an abbreviation of the ruler's name in 4-6 characters, not a whole screed going round the entire circumference of the coin.