News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

UK local transportation tokens

Started by africancoins, December 29, 2010, 11:18:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

malj1

An unlisted BUS PASS for the N.C.B. NORTH DERBYS AREA

NV,yellow plastic 31.7mm

Two other N.C.B. types are listed for Waleswood motor bus # Sheffield 685 BD/BE and BH

Another possibility is the Chesterfield issue # 170 CA thru CD for Flint Glap See North Derbyshire Collieries [almost halfway down page]

Copyright and Owner Mark Smith.

FLINT GLAP - Orange plastic, same design both sides. These tokens were used by miners in the Bolsover travelling to Glapwell Colliery on the private miners' bus service run by Mrs. E Flint of Carr Vale. Certainly in use in 1967 but withdrawn from use c.1970. ...The Smiths cat., says this bus was run by Mrs Flint for the N.C.B.

Also shown there and mentioned:

White Plastic Glapwell Colliery Checks - These are similar to many other plastic checks I have from the North Derbyshire area. But how were they used?

I feel this could well be a bus pass too.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Figleaf

No doubt about the North Derbyshire bus pass. Very nice find!

No doubt either on the Flint Glap token. The explanation given is convincing. The Derbyshire Miners Association piece is pretty likely a bus token (could be a co-op restaurant token, but I don't see miners coming up just for lunch.)

I do have doubts on the Thorne and the five remaining Glapwell tokens. In their favour, the layout resembles that of the North Derbyshire token. However, there is no mention of transport or NCB or another Miners' union, but the mine is mentioned. It is quite possible that they were identity tags issued by the mine administration (hence the name of the mine) as a crude but effective way to keep track of who was in the mine. The miner would, depending on how the administration wanted the system to operate, either take them upon entry and give them back when leaving the mine or he would yield them on entry and take it back on leaving. Fire brigades had a similar system to keep track of who was in a burning building.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

Most of the others in the image are mining pieces and only included as I had just uploaded the entire image from that link to show the Flint Glap token which I have been seeking for years; but the white Glapwell Colliery is one I think could well be another bus pass although it does not say so explicitly.
Malcolm

Figleaf

The similarity between the white plastic Glapwell token and the round brass Glapwell token leads me to believe that the two have the same function.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

africancoins

The brass "COLLIERY" pieces with a stamped number (and hole) were for uses within the colliery.... mainly for checking in and out of the working area. Each miner had pieces with a different stamped number...

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

malj1

I have shown the 1½d Fibre Sheffield Transport Department token before, but here it is again alongside two varieties of the Sheffield Corporation Tramways 1½d that are also in Fibre

The first is a dark grey possible due to age or wear but on the second pale grey piece the halfpenny on the reverse has a distinctly different half, especially seen in the figure 1
Malcolm

Figleaf

It looks like an early (first world war?) tram token, but I can't find it. Judging from the oxidation, it is iron. What looks white on the scan is actually shiny: recent scratch. Bracteate strike, i.e. the reverse is the same, incuse and in mirror image; flan is extremely thin. About 32 mm.

Peter

malj1

See Reply #230 for a very similar 1d FARE token for a toy conductors play set.

A different '1d' in the penny denomination otherwise almost identical, including size.
Malcolm

malj1

Here is the complete run of Wallasey Corporation Motor Bus tokens.

Notice the various dies, such as the gap between MOTOR and BUSES, as well as the different colours; some of the blue 2d and the red 4d have been highlighted with paint, perhaps some of the drivers couldn't read these in poor light.
Malcolm

malj1

Shipley & District Tramways / Joseph Speight Proprietor 1d brass 25.8mm

See WoT
Malcolm

andyg

Very nice - our first entry in the earlier sections.

But I expect to get a few more sorted before Christmas.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

redwine

A couple of concessionaries for you - 3p
Maidenhead & Cookham
Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.

Figleaf

Why not write them up in the Wiki, redwine?

Peter

redwine

Quote from: Figleaf on December 25, 2014, 07:08:14 PM
Why not write them up in the Wiki, redwine?

Not my thing Peter.
But if I owe anyone (particularly Andy  :-[) and if they want them they are welcome  ;D

redwine

Which reminds me, is there a UK transport token hub I can send unwanted UK transport tokens to as i don't collect them?
Likewise, perhaps there should be other hubs to enable people to send unwanted tokens on to other collectors in their spheres.
Sorry, kids are watching telly loudly!  Can't think straight.  And I've drunk a little too much in the extended lunchtime............ ::)