News:

Read all about the Grand Numismatic Alliance

Main Menu

All the fakes

Started by <k>, August 01, 2011, 12:40:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kansal888

Peter,

For your benefit, I am uploading a comparison of both coins. You can easily the difference between the fake coin and original coin.

Thanks
Sanjay

Figleaf

Ahhh! That helps quite a lot. I don't think this is a cast forgery, so the fake would pass the "ping" test. I have seen this effect on outlines (the ear of wheat is typical) before. The explanation I have heard is that there is a computer-guided (probably European, I have not seen such copies of US coins yet) machine that can make pretty good 3 dimensional copies. The salesmen use copying a (usually common) coin as a demo and present the copy to the prospect, without bothering to invalidate it. It may be a fluff story, but it does fit with the known facts. The only copy of this kind I have handled did not have the right weight.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

dheer

Quote from: Figleaf on June 15, 2014, 06:37:45 PM
A machine that can make pretty good 3 dimensional copies. The salesmen use copying a (usually common) coin as a demo and present the copy to the prospect, without bothering to invalidate it.

Are you talking of 3-D additive printing? It can take an object [coin or anything] or special types of images and create a copy. However this is very accurate upto mm and widely used to make prototypes and other production automotive parts. As of now its expensive and its used to forge high end coins ... ie make the master die and strike coins of right metal composition ... The one Kansalji has posted does look like a machine copy, its a crude copy
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Figleaf

No, this is an earlier technology and I know of individual coins only. No dies, no long series. I have no more details and I stress that it's hearsay only, but these fakes were around already in the nineties.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

kansal888

With the advancement of CAD/CAM technology, it is possible to have a 3D scan of an item using laser. It is reportedly accurate upto hundredth parts of a mm. Once a 3D scan is created, it is possible to accurately reproduce it.

I have heard whispers that Chinese are using this 3D laser scanning technology to create very high quality fakes of some costly coins.

All this is very frightening.

kansal888

Some more fakes

capnbirdseye

Quote from: moneditis on July 11, 2014, 01:26:09 PM
8 reales counterfeits bulk sales  :o

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?SearchText=8+reales+coin&catId=0&initiative_id=AS_20140708104155

I don't think that is technically a counterfeit, the page openly tells you it's a cast copy & actually mentions the word China, replica, casting technique etc.
    Metal

Model Number:
    without

Regional Feature:
    China

is_customized:
    Yes

Technique:
    Casting

Type:
    Brass

Use:
    Art & Collectible

Theme:
    Other

silver metal:
    silver metal

replica coins:
    Spain coins
Vic

Figleaf

Most are in the wrong metal, so they would be easy to recognise. However, I don't like the silver (not plated) copy of the Ferdinand VII peso. Too good and not marked copy. No wonder it commands a much higher price. It's pretty obvious what the buyer has in mind.

Peter