Comments on "Milestones in the decimal coinage of Jersey"

Started by <k>, September 11, 2011, 11:37:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pabitra

Quote from: Alan71 on February 10, 2016, 11:00:21 PM
Is nickel-brass not worth that much then, in comparison to cupro-nickel?

Cupro Nickel has 25% Nickel whereas Nickel- Brass has only 5%.
Makes all the difference.

eurocoin

The 2014-dated 5p coins are magnetic and so possibly made out of Copper-nickel plated steel. Previously these coins were made out of copper-nickel.

Source: forum member andyg.

andyg

always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

africancoins

If the Jersey 5p 2014 is attracted to a magnet then it will be Nickel-plated-Steel ....   Jersey never deviates for the UK coin specifications, it is just not as quick with some changes.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Alan71

Yes, I agree with Paul.  If they're magnetic, they must be nickel-plated steel.  They can't be anything else.  The Royal Mint are hardly going to create a new alloy just for Jersey coins!  Guessing the 2012-dated coins were ordered before the Mint had decided on nickel-plated for UK issues, so the original order had to be honoured.

I want at least one of those 2014 5p coins though!  After seeing these posts, I checked eBay and there's a multiple listing on there with a photo including it.  Alas, in the options it's not there so am guessing it's already sold. :(

andyg

always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Alan71

And apparently other denominations as well, according to eBay seller ballch23, who is based in Jersey:

"Thanks for your email. There is indeed newly issued coins, 1p, 2p 5p 10p 20p & 50p all 2014, should be listing later today.
Will advise"

Prosit

What constitutes a "Milestone"? As opposed to just any change in coinage.

Dale

<k>

It was just a way of making the subject stand out. Do you think I should omit the words "Milestones in" from the series title?
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Prosit

First of all I very much like all these threads and find them informative and entertaining and worth study.
I look at all of them.

But in my picayune view I see a difference between, "The Coinage of Jersey" and "Milestones in the decimal coinage of Jersey" or "Milestones in the coinage of Jersey"

Example of milestones to me would be something like this:

1.   Establishment of a Mint
2.   First circulating coins
3.   First Gold coins
4.   Establishment of branch mints
5.   Addition or deletion of a denomination
6.   Significant change in metal (for instance Silver to Ni or Cu-ni)
7.   Significant change in size (for instance Large verses small cents)
8.   Significant change in weight
9.   Decimalization
10.   Changes in denomination names
11.   Beginning of Commemorative coinage
12.   Beginning of sets for sale to the public
13.   Issuance of special sets (for instance Maundy coinage, proof or mint sets)
14.   Mint first striking a medal available to the public
15.   Mint taking on coinage of another nation
16.   Wartime emergency measures
17.   Significant changes in design reflecting societal changes (for instance from allegorical to presidents, first woman on a coin, first native on a coin, and other similar.

Just wanted to comment. Certainly wouldn't change the way they are posted and put together.

Dale

Quote from: <k> on June 09, 2016, 08:43:01 PM
It was just a way of making the subject stand out. Do you think I should omit the words "Milestones in" from the series title?

<k>

Points 5, 7, and 9 are certainly included in this series of topics. Am I off the hook?

The topics are a personal view, of course. I suppose there is a lot more I could say, but I aim to keep them reasonably brief. However, that is not always possible, since I want to show every issued circulation (decimal) coin series, and some territories/dependencies have issued rather a lot.

I am pleased that you like the topics, as they take me a fair amount of time to plan and post. Even then, they're not always as good as I would like.

Alan71

Yes, I've found the Milestones topics really interesting.  I've learnt a few things from the Gibraltar and Isle of Man ones.  Jersey I knew more about, but still good to see it all documented.  I've actually visited all the landmarks on the current Jersey coins, 1p to 50p.  Seymour Tower (5p) was the most difficult.  It can be seen from the coast, but with it being more than a mile out in an area of of huge tidal currents, we took an organised trip to it.

<k>

Glad you like the series, Alan. It makes it all worthwhile. Of course, it's also a means by which I can remember the important stuff from these territories/dependencies: a ready reference.

When I first had the idea of doing the series back in 2011, it was quite a radical idea. It took me a very long time to find all the images and then write it. Often I was up into the small hours. Since then my ideas of presentation, i.e. what looks good, have developed significantly, so I decided this year that the whole series needs a makeover. This time round, I was seeking better images, and mostly just of those that were already there. I'd already done the text, years ago, and so just tweaked it slightly. All of this saved me a lot of time this time round, as it provided the basis that I didn't have first time round. Even so the makeover of the Isle of Man topic still took me far too long, because of all the design series it issued.

After I originally did this series of topics, I found lots of other things to write about - a whole flurry of them. In past couple of years, though, I started slowing down, at last, so have had time to consider "upgrading" what is already out there.

<k>

Quote from: Alan71 on June 10, 2016, 12:19:36 AM
I've actually visited all the landmarks on the current Jersey coins, 1p to 50p.  Seymour Tower (5p) was the most difficult.

I too attempted the whole tour, in the year 2000. When I got to the lighthouse, the tide was coming in, so I just viewed it from the coast and had a meal in a nearby hotel. A very picturesque view, it was ,on a very warm day. I didn't get to see Seymour Tower - I can't remember whether I looked for it. Best of all I liked the Gatehouse at Grosnez Castle. It was very atmospheric, overlooking the sea, and at the same time I enjoyed seeing all the butterflies and burnets that were fluttering around. I can't remember now what that piece of land is that you can see out in the sea from Grosnez. Can you?

Anyway, it's a superb design series, and very relevant to Jersey, too.

Alan71

It's Sark that you can see from Grosnez, as that's the closest of the other Channel Islands to Jersey and Grosnez is situated on the north-west corner.  Guernsey and Herm are also visible to a lesser extent.