South Portland Street Bridge
The bridge is named after the street that runs up to it from the south.
In 1833 a wooden bridge was erected on the site. It became unsafe and in 1853 the Gorbals heritors had the South Portland Street Bridge erected. This was the first purpose-built pedestrian bridge to cross the River Clyde. When the bridge was opened it had a halfpenny toll to cover the cost. However there were free crossings nearby. So the bridge was underused and the toll was soon scrapped.
The masonry towers and the supporting iron chains proved to be sub-standard. So the bridge was largely re-built in 1871.
|South Portland Street Bridge|
|Manufacture||Oval White Metal|
|Notes||Toll value 1/2d|