The Skansen open-air museum and zoo was opened in 1891. Its promotor and first curator was Artur Hazelius (1833-1901), who was already director of the Nordic museum, an ethnographic establishment. Hazelius aggressively expanded Skansen by transferring buildings typical of pre-industrial Sweden to Skansen. A number of these are now animated by demonstrations of traditional crafts and country life. His son Gunnar succeeded him as curator and his granddaughter Gunnel married professor Gösta Berg, who was director of Skansen from 1956 to 1963 and managing director of the Skansen Foundation from 1964.
The zoo has a collection of Scandinavian animals plus some popular animals that do not occur in Scandinavia. In December the site's central square features a Christmas market that has been held since 1903 (photo). Like Gröna Lund and Nöjesfältet, Skansen is on the island of Djurgården in Stockholm. While there was an overlap of interest, therefore competition between the three, Skansen tended to receive the upper part of the clients of the Stockholm entertainment market.
- Skansens Bergbana Funicular railway in the Skansen open-air museum , built 1897