Northern General Transport Company Ltd started bus operations in 1912 from a depot on East Picktree Lane in Chester-le-street. In 1933, headquarters were moved to the Gateshead depot. On 1st January 1969, Northern was nationalised and became part of the National Bus Company. The company was privatised again in 1987 in a management buyout to Go-Ahead Northern. It was the first company of the Go-Ahead Group.