Junior Instruction Centres

From World of Tokens
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Junior Instruction Centres were set up all over the UK as a result of the Unemployment Insurance Act, 1934. Young unemployed people were required to attend them. By 1936 there were two self contained Junior Instruction Centres in Glasgow, Bankhead (Boys) and in the suburban district of Glasgow of South Carntyne (Girls). There were also a number of classes in schools throughout Glasgow that were administered as one Junior Instruction Centre, Glasgow (Mixed) Centre. The daily attendance was about 1800 boys and 1800 girls.