From World of Tokens
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Tokens Manufactured byWoollen & Co, Reliance Nameplates
More Info[] Wikipedia
Loading map...

Acting on the Tramways act of 1870, Hull sought and obtained permission from parliament to construct a municipal horse-drawn tram system in 1872. The company constructing the first lines was the Continental & General Tramways Company. Operations started in 1876. This company went into liquidation in 1889. In 1891, part of the network was sold to the Drypool and Marfleet Steam Tramways Company. The rest was renamed Hull street tramways. In 1895, the Hull corporation bought Hull street tramways and Drypool and Marfleet with the objective of replacing horse-drawn trams by electric vehicles. Upon achieving this objectives in 1899, the company became known as City of Hull Tramways.

In 1920, the company was renamed Hull Corporation Tramways, rebranded as Hull Corporation transport department in 1932. In 1934 the Hull Corporation transport department entered into a cooperation agreement with East Yorkshire Motor Services (EYMS). The Hull corporation transport department received revenues from the city area, while EYMS received the revenues for service outside Hull. Revenues in the suburbs were split between the two. As a consequence it became uneconomic to operate the outlying tram routes. From its opening on 25th July 1937, a trolleybus network gradually replaced the trams. The last tram festively ran on 30 June 1945. After 1945 the transport company became Kingston upon Hull Corporation Transport, and - as a consequence of the local government act 1972 - after 1975 Kingston upon Hull City Transport or KHCT. After privatisation in 1985, EYMS again served the district lines, but the inner city and suburban lines now belong to Stagecoach in Hull.

Hull Corporation