Glasgow Subway Railway

From World of Tokens
Jump to navigation Jump to search

The Glasgow Subway (previously Glasgow Underground) is now owned and operated by the Strathclyde Partnership for Transport (SPT). It has a single, circular route.

The first underground line built in Glasgow is a 3.1 mi (5.0 km) section of the Glasgow City and District Railway opened in 1863. It is part of the North Clyde Line of the suburban railway network and not part of the Subway. The Subway was opened in 1896 by the Glasgow District Subway Co. An accident on the opening day necessitated the closure of the Subway until 19 January 1897. In 1914 the company was renamed the Glasgow Subway Railway Co. It was bought by Glasgow Corporation in 1923. In 1935, the cable cars were adjusted for electric propulsion and the service was officially renamed Glasgow Underground in 1936.

In the period 1977-1980, the Subway was thoroughly modernised by the Greater Glasgow Passenger Transport Executive.

Glasgow Subway Railway
GSR.0005.jpg
Source (Smith)
Filename GSR.0005
Value ½d
Add Desc.
Size (mm) 25
Manufacture Blue Plastic
Notes 1914-1936 (renamed)
GSR.001.jpg
Source (Smith)
Filename GSR.001.jpg
Value 1d
Add Desc.
Size (mm) 25
Manufacture White Plastic
Notes