General Tire, was founded by William F. O’Neill (“W.O”) and Winfred E. Fouse in 1915. The company positioned itself as a premium brand. In 1930 General Tire acquired the General Tire & Rubber Company in Mexico and the Tire Fabric Operation in Barnesville in the US. In 1944, the company added a second factory in Texas. It steadily added more factories and started making tyres for other companies, notably car makers. In 1984, the company changed its name to GenCorp. In 1987, it was acquired by US competitor Continental Tire
In 1953, General Tire established The General Tire & Rubber Company Holland NV, also known as General banden, on Westhavenweg 55 in Amsterdam. In 1967, the facility was closed (photo: Ben Merk in Dutch National archives, May 24, 1967).