Dundee & District Tramways Company Ltd
Dundee & District Tramways ran the first cars on the Perth Road tramline in early Spetember 1877. Two cars were loaned from Edinburgh and three from Glasgow. Peter Peebles was contracted to supply the horses.
The Dundee & District Tramways took over the service of John Robertson and David Stratton on the 1st February 1878 by prior arrangement. Increased services were supplied between Dundee and Lochee, the Post Office and top of Hilltown, the Post Office and Baxter Park, and the Post Office and Ferry Road. The fares between Dundee and Lochee were reduced by a halfpenny to 3d inside and 2d outside - a discount was given for multiple ticket purchases. Through fares were also available.
The tramway service proved convenient and, compared with the omnibus transport, being more comfortable and faster. By the end of 1879 there were three services an hour, and these were augmented on Saturday afternoons. The termini were Weavers' Hall on the one hand, and the site of the Caird Fountain, Dundee, on the other. The inward route was by Lochee Road, Ward Road, and Reform Street. Nethergate, South and North Tay Streets to Lochee were traversed on the outward journey. In 1884, steam superseded horse haulage. This system, though an improvement as far as traction went, was cumbrous and difficult to work. Eventually in 1899 the tramways were municipalised and an electric system installed. In 1900 the benefits of this new method were extended to Lochee, the line at the same time being continued from High Street to its terminus at Coupar Angus Road. The initial service took place on 22nd October in that year.
|Dundee & District Tramways Company Ltd|