In 1883, Emil Rathenau founded the Deutsche Edison-Gesellschaft für angewandte Elektrizität (German Edison company for applied electricity) on the basis of some patents bought from Thomas Edison. The name of the company was changed to Allgemeine Elektricitäts-Gesellschaft (AEG) in 1887. Rathenau had a knack for finding excellent employees, such as his co-director Oskar van Miller, who developed a technique for transport of electricity over long distancers, Michail Doliwo-Dobrowolski, a Russian engineer inventor of the alternative current (AC) motor and Peter Behrens, father of the concept of industrial design, but also the architect of an AEG turbine factory on Huttenstraße in Berlin-Moabit that is now a monument. In 1922, Walther Ratenau, Emil's son and successor was murdered by extreme rightists. From 1929, General Electric held a significant minority share of AEG equity.
In the 1930s, AEG started a number of agencies in the Netherlands, with a central office on Frederiksplein in Amsterdam. By the end of the 1950s, the company moved to Aletta Jacobslaan 7, in the outskirts of Amsterdam. (photo: municipal archive, Amsterdam). It is likely that the tokens were used here. In 1966, the company moved to Alphen aan den Rijn.
After a financially problematic period, AEG was acquired by Daimler-Benz in 1985. They broke up the company. The important household goods part was sold to Swedish competitor Electrolux. The AEG brand name is now only used under license.
|Notes||Struck by the Utrecht mint, 1964|