Robertson, John M
John Mill (or Miln) Robertson is listed in the 1850 Dundee directory as a coach proprietor at 4 Westfield Place.
In July 1852 it was reported that he had started the an omnibus service running from Blackness Gate on Perth Road to Princes Street. By December 1852 he had expanded to two omnibuses on the same route and the service was called Robertson's Omnibus. Around the same time there was a service run by David Hobb between Dundee and Lochee. In 1853 John Robertson was listed as an innkeeper, coach and horse hirer at 23 Perth Road. By 1856 John Robertson had various routes to Dundee and to Carolina Port. The service was now called Town Omnibus. There was another company running an omnibus service to Broughty Ferry at this time that was not listed in 1858.
This change in name to Town Omnibus and the similarity in style to the Andrew Menzies omnibus tokens of Glasgow would indicate that the tokens were issued some time between 1855 and 1860.
John Robertson is indicated as being the only successful omnibus operator in Dundee until Peter Peebles, a cab proprieter, started a rival Dundee service in 1866. In 1869 Peter Peebles tried to compete with John Robertson on the Lochee route. John Robertson had arranged a special toll rate of 20 shillings per week for his omnibuses. Peter Peebles was refused a similar special rate and so withdrew his service.
John Robertson died in 1874 after three years of illness. The omnibus services were taken over his widow who old the routes and stock to the Dundee and District Tramway Company. They who took over the services on 1st February 1878.