Difference between revisions of "Robertson, John M"

From World of Tokens
Jump to navigation Jump to search
m
Line 3: Line 3:
In July 1852 it was reported that he had started the an omnibus service running from Blackness Gate on Perth Road to Princes Street. By December 1852 he had expanded to two omnibuses on the same route and the service was called Robertson's Omnibus. Around the same time there was a service run by David Hobb between Dundee and Lochee. In 1853 John Robertson was listed as an innkeeper, coach and horse hirer at 23 Perth Road. By 1856 John Robertson had various routes to Dundee and to Carolina Port. The service was now called Town Omnibus. There was another company running an omnibus service to Broughty Ferry at this time that was not listed in 1858.  
In July 1852 it was reported that he had started the an omnibus service running from Blackness Gate on Perth Road to Princes Street. By December 1852 he had expanded to two omnibuses on the same route and the service was called Robertson's Omnibus. Around the same time there was a service run by David Hobb between Dundee and Lochee. In 1853 John Robertson was listed as an innkeeper, coach and horse hirer at 23 Perth Road. By 1856 John Robertson had various routes to Dundee and to Carolina Port. The service was now called Town Omnibus. There was another company running an omnibus service to Broughty Ferry at this time that was not listed in 1858.  


This change in name to Town Omnibus and the similarity in style to the Andrew Menzies omnibus tokens of Glasgow would indicate that the tokens were issued some time between 1855 and 1860.
The stables were at 23 Perth Road. In addition from 1858 there was a city centre address that changed - New Inn Entry in 1858, Meadowside in 1861 and King Street in 1864. This inidcates that the tokens were issued some time between 1859 and 1863.
 
 
John Robertson is indicated as being the only successful omnibus operator in Dundee until Peter Peebles, a cab proprieter, started a rival Dundee service in 1866. In 1869 Peter Peebles tried to compete with John Robertson on the Lochee route. John Robertson had arranged a special toll rate of 20 shillings per week for his omnibuses. Peter Peebles was refused a similar special rate and so withdrew his service.
John Robertson is indicated as being the only consistently successful omnibus operator in Dundee until Peter Peebles, a cab proprieter, started a rival Dundee service in 1866. In 1869 Peter Peebles tried to compete with John Robertson on the Lochee route. John Robertson had arranged a special toll rate of 20 shillings per week for his omnibuses. Peter Peebles was refused a similar special rate and so withdrew his service.


John Robertson died in 1874 after three years of illness. The omnibus services were taken over his widow who sold the routes and stock to the Dundee and District Tramway Company, who took over the services on 1st February 1878.
John Robertson died in 1874 after three years of illness. The omnibus services were taken over his widow who sold the routes and stock to the Dundee and District Tramway Company, who took over the services on 1st February 1878.
Line 34: Line 34:
|-
|-
|Notes  
|Notes  
|Issued around 1855-60
|Issued around 1859-63
|-
|-
|rowspan="8"|[[File:JMR.002b.jpg|400px]]
|rowspan="8"|[[File:JMR.002b.jpg|400px]]
Line 57: Line 57:
|-
|-
|Notes  
|Notes  
|Issued around 1855-60
|Issued around 1859-63
|-
|-

Revision as of 00:39, 1 August 2022

John Mill (or Miln) Robertson is listed in the 1850 Dundee directory as a coach proprietor at 4 Westfield Place.

In July 1852 it was reported that he had started the an omnibus service running from Blackness Gate on Perth Road to Princes Street. By December 1852 he had expanded to two omnibuses on the same route and the service was called Robertson's Omnibus. Around the same time there was a service run by David Hobb between Dundee and Lochee. In 1853 John Robertson was listed as an innkeeper, coach and horse hirer at 23 Perth Road. By 1856 John Robertson had various routes to Dundee and to Carolina Port. The service was now called Town Omnibus. There was another company running an omnibus service to Broughty Ferry at this time that was not listed in 1858.

The stables were at 23 Perth Road. In addition from 1858 there was a city centre address that changed - New Inn Entry in 1858, Meadowside in 1861 and King Street in 1864. This inidcates that the tokens were issued some time between 1859 and 1863.

John Robertson is indicated as being the only consistently successful omnibus operator in Dundee until Peter Peebles, a cab proprieter, started a rival Dundee service in 1866. In 1869 Peter Peebles tried to compete with John Robertson on the Lochee route. John Robertson had arranged a special toll rate of 20 shillings per week for his omnibuses. Peter Peebles was refused a similar special rate and so withdrew his service.

John Robertson died in 1874 after three years of illness. The omnibus services were taken over his widow who sold the routes and stock to the Dundee and District Tramway Company, who took over the services on 1st February 1878.


Robertson, John M
JMR.002a.jpg
Source (Smith)
Filename JMR.002a
Value 2d
Add Desc. John M Robertson, 23 Perth Road & Meadowside
Size (mm) 28x19
Manufacture Oval Bronze
Notes Issued around 1859-63
JMR.002b.jpg
Source (Smith)
Filename JMR.002b
Value 2d
Add Desc. John M Robertson, 23 Perth Road & Meadowside
Size (mm) 28x19
Manufacture Oval Pewter
Notes Issued around 1859-63