Author Topic: Coin shopping in Riga  (Read 4206 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Coin shopping in Riga
« on: May 17, 2011, 12:56:20 AM »
Can anyone recommend a numismatic address (museum, dealer etc.) in Riga? I'll be there on 25th and 26th May 2011.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline ciscoins

• Coins of CIS and Baltic countries
Coin shopping in Riga
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 07:13:29 AM »
Can anyone recommend a numismatic address (museum, dealer etc.) in Riga? I'll be there on 25th and 26th May 2011.

Peter

1. Central Bank of Latvia (in the Old Town, opposite to the Presidental Palace) - you can get 1-lats coins for their face value
2. Rīgas Numismātikas Salons (Kalēju ielā, 30; in thetrade centre "Galerija Centrs")
3. "Euro Gold Latvija" at the Main post office "Sacta" (Brivibas bulvaris 32)
Ivan
Moscow, Russia

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Coin shopping in Riga
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 11:14:00 PM »
Those recommendations turned out to be first class. Thanks, ciscoins!

The official address of the central bank is Krisjāna Valdemāra Iela 2a, but the entrance you need is actually on the crossing between Torna Iela and Citadeles Iela. I got the five latest 1 lats issues there at face. People were friendly, helpful and uncomplaining. However, they accept only Latvian cash, no credit cards and the nearest ATM is not really near...

Rīgas Numismātikas Salons, Kalēju ielā, 30 is a coin shop just outside a modern shopping centre in the historic centre (shiver). It boasts a sympathetic, helpful owner, a good collection of modern Baltic coins (probably others also, but most of the stuff on view was Latvian pseudo coins) and reasonable prices. I bought just about everything on my want list I could afford there. There is a battery of ATMs in the shopping centre.

Euro Gold Latvija is a coin shop in the main hall of the post office on Merkela Iela, quite close to Brivibus Bulvaris. I saw lots of Latvian pseudo coins again, but didn't try to buy anything. Prices were not indicated.

All three addresses are within easy walking distance of each other.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 10:16:48 PM »
I found out too late that Rīgas Numismātikas Salons is now in Teātra iela 4. Maybe, because Google maps shows another business on that address.

However, near its old address, I found a pawn shop (!), "Expresscredit" on Kalēju ielā 18/20 that sold a nice collection of mainly Latvian coins of the 1920s and 1930s, with some "usual suspects" silver Polish and Russian coins thrown in. Prices were moderate and I could even negotiate, though not by much.

Watch out. They have nice jewellery as well. ;)

Peter

Offline Sgard

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 09:59:58 PM »