Author Topic: cancelled coin from Spain  (Read 2336 times)

Offline africancoins

• Meritorious Member
cancelled coin from Spain
« on: May 19, 2011, 12:03:08 AM »
I recently got a cancelled coin of Spain.

Are such pieces from this period often encountered ?

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: cancelled coin from Spain
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 12:20:08 AM »
I have seen such cancellations more often, but never on Spanish coins. I have seen them used both for coins that were withdrawn and for forgeries. They were always described as rare, which makes sense, as they were supposed to be remelted and not to leave the mint. Congratulations on you acquisition, Paul.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline BillSnyder

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 11:11:10 PM »

I also have examples of this cancelled coin, but have never been able to definitely establish that they were officially cancelled by the Spanish Mint. I've been hoping for some official information on the subject. (Can post pictures).

Always glad to discuss Mint-cancelled World coinage. I have a small website ( http://www.littlemistakes.com/waffles/ ) on the subject.

Cheers,
Bill

Offline BillSnyder

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 11:57:13 PM »
Mr. Baker,

I greatly admire your coin photography.

Have you any tips that you might pass along?

Thank you,
Bill

Offline africancoins

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 12:28:07 AM »
Bill,
   you may re-call that I sent you this image of a Greek piece about 4 years ago....

The Greek piece I scanned...  The Spanish piece I photographed with a digital SLR camera... on a copy-stand...  for the sideways view with a high aperture setting (perhaps f/22 likely more) and likely with as long an exposure time as that required ( details will be with the original full size image file) - lighting from light bulbs. The other images of the Spanish piece would have been same camera and stand then with a small ring flash for lighting.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Offline BillSnyder

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 01:17:02 AM »
Mr. Baker,

I DO remember now.

As you guessed, I was most highly impressed with the side view! (A real WOW image). Thank you for the tip!

Bill