News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Whilst I live, I’ll crow

Started by Prosit, May 18, 2011, 01:38:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prosit

Brass, 26mm ...I manipulated the image mercilessly.  Tuby's Luna Park.

Evidently that is in England somewhere along the Yorkshire Coast.  I like the rooster design
(Chicken for the non-gender specific description  ;) )

Maybe this was good for a ride.

Reckon Tuby was a big man? Needs another "b" if so, or is Tuby a name?

I really identify with the sentiment.

malj1

From Google...

Luna Park is a small fairground offering a selection of rides for both adults and children.
Mr. George Tuby, Luna Park Funfair., South Bay, Scarborough, North Yorkshire.

possibly used here too?

Tuby Amusements Pier Road, Whitby
Tuby's amusements is an arcade full of amusement type games.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Figleaf

A Shakespearean name. Tuby or not Tuby...

I actually remember the park in Whitby, as I visited it in 1967 as a naive teenager with the girl wo was not going to be my wife. :) Same description applied: small fairground, well kept, a few rides and arcade games. Don't remember using tokens there, tough. Maybe they came later, as inflation struck the pound hard.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

I have since added one to my collection. It is not listed in Hayes, presumably scarce.

Interestingly the one I bought measures 26mm, so Dale can you confirm the 21mm? I may have to seek another!

I do have a Luna Park Scarborough piece too, now I wonder if this is related.
Malcolm

malj1

Quote from: malj1 on April 23, 2012, 01:41:03 AM
I have since added one to my collection. It is not listed in Hayes, presumably scarce.

Interestingly the one I bought measures 26mm, so Dale can you confirm the 21mm? I may have to seek another!

Here is the Luna Park token from Scarborough, identical in size at 26mm but somewhat thicker, it could not operate the same machine.

also unlisted in Hayes.
Malcolm

Prosit

I have some thousands of tokens. 

Most are in a coffee can full (mostly European) that I bet weighs 3+ kilos and are of little or no more than a passing interest to me and are curiosities at best. I search them when someone post a token here that I remember seeing something similar in that pile.  I also give them away when someone seems to have an interest and the postage is not very much. I would like to give away all the ones I have extra to someone that might appreciate them but I am not made of money (hobby funds are very very VERY scarce these days) and pounds (kilos) of misc tokens sent overseas cost a lot. In my permanent collection I bet I have 500 or so that appeal to me in one fashion or another....I never know what will attract my attention momentarily but I make no dedicated effort to collect any series other than Austrian, a few specific German and maybe some few Hungarian tokens.

However this one attracted my interest and I put it in a 2X2 and saved it in my permanent token collection. I don't know why specifically it is of interest to me but I do like the rooster design and the sentiment seems particularly poignant. 

I too crow whilst I live however futile it may be to crow in the face of eternity.

21mm?  I don't have a clue where I got that....the token measures a good 26 mm.

Dale

malj1

Quote....the token measures a good 26 mm.

Thanks, I'll  abandon my search!
Malcolm

Figleaf

I have the Scarborough token, so it may not be as scarce as all that. Happy to have made the connection with Whitby.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Dave13

You mention Hayes I assume it's a catalogue for tokens. What's the title is it still in print?
Dave.
My collection of commemorative medals, coins and tokens.
http://www.neocollect.com/user/dave

malj1

Quote from: Dave13 on June 29, 2012, 12:33:13 PM
You mention Hayes I assume it's a catalogue for tokens. What's the title is it still in print?
Dave.

It is British Machine Tokens by Ralph Hayes publ. 1986. I did see one copy for sale on eBay recently.

I have just searched Amazon and abebooks but unfortulately no copies are available at present.
Malcolm

Dave13

My collection of commemorative medals, coins and tokens.
http://www.neocollect.com/user/dave

malj1

Have now discovered another version of this token. Perhaps cheaper?

Whilst I live, I'll crow Rev. Tuby's Luna Park; all incuse [both sides] brass 25.9mm

Malcolm

malj1

Quote from: malj1 on May 18, 2011, 02:47:38 AM
possibly used here too?
Tuby Amusements Pier Road, Whitby
Tuby's amusements is an arcade full of amusement type games.

George Thomas Tuby and his wife Anne formed a successful business partnership in the showman industry first on the travelling circuit and then, following a permanent relocation to Whitby in 1968, as owners of Tuby's Amusement Arcade on Pier Road.

This was later expanded to Scarborough at Luna Park. Both businesses are now run by their children and their families.
Source

Malcolm

Figleaf

Good grief, Malcolm, I was in Whitby in the summer of 1968, trying to impress the lovely Christine by doing some of Tuby's rides with her and having a beer with her afterwards. I wonder where she is now... :)

Peter