Any Initial to Edward 1907 1/4 Rupee?

Started by Md. Shariful Islam, May 17, 2011, 05:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Md. Shariful Islam

Hi

I see some initial like things below neck of Edward in 1907 1/4 Rupee... Is that initial? Under magnifier it seems like three numeric alphabets... Seems like 813... I am not sure... Cannot upload photo now... Can anybody help me with the information that there is any initial in Edward Rupees? I did not find initials in any other Edward Rupees...

Islam

Figleaf

I didn't find any British Indian Edward VII coins with initials below the neck either.

The best explanation I can think of is that it could be a jeweller's mark indicating the silver content (0.813). In many countries, such a mark is obligatory on silver objects. If so, I would expect that either the diameter or (more likely) the weight is wrong, as the official silver content is 0.917. Official weight is 2.92 grams.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

repindia

The initials should be "DES" below the effigy. I am not 100% sure and need to check Pridmore, but think these refer to the engraver de Saulles.

Figleaf

Yes, the portrait was designed by William de Saulles and on the coins of Jersey, I found DES, but even looking at the largest picture on the net (click to enlarge) I couldn't find those initials.

Peter

An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

repindia

These can be found on 1/4 Rupees as can be seen in my example below -->

repindia

BTW these initials can also be found on the 1 Anna and 2 Anna coins other than the 1/4 Rupee as illustrated. I do not know wky it does not appear on the rest. The answer might be in Pridmore and would need to read up those sections to find out.

Md. Shariful Islam

I find intial like thing here [http://jfcampbell.us/india/edward7/edward7.htm#X] on the 1/4 Rupee of of Edward on this web.

Islam