News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Dutch gas distribution tokens

Started by malj1, May 11, 2011, 02:52:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

Schiedam. The star-shaped central hole in the brass variant is not symmetrical. It may be a cancellation mark. Struck in the Utrecht mint, 1946. Unholed specimen were first struck in 1920, which explains the date on the token.

The aluminium variant was struck in the Utrecht mint in 1950. Mintage: 500 000. There is no trace of the edge decoration of plusses and dots.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Figleaf

Sneek.

The brass type was struck in the Vienna mint, which applied the black coating. In case you were wondering, the shield holder left is male :)
The Aluminium type, struck in the Utrecht mint in 1924. Mintage: 100 000.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Figleaf

Soest, struck in the Utrecht mint in 1942. Total mintage: 50 000.

Peter

Figleaf

St. Annaparochie,, struck in the Utrecht mint in 1920 and 1948. Total mintage: 43 000. The text HET BILDT on the ribbon below the arms is not a motto but a reference to the municipality the town was part of.

Peter

Figleaf

This concludes what I have in my collection today. It excludes tokens already shown in other threads on this site and restrikes.

I will now attempt to build a data base of Dutch gas tokens in order to do some statistical analysis. This will take a while. Meanwhile, please show what you have.

Peter

Figleaf

The data base is now finished. I am still putting in weight data, but the column will remain too lightly populated for significant conclusions for some time. I will send it - in Excel format - to any WoC member on request.

The data base is not a catalogue. Minor varieties have been omitted (but omission are noted) and if the same type was ordered twice, there is a record for both years, even though they cannot be distinguished. Another difference with the Kooij catalogue is that it includes tokens used for both electricity and gas (they are in a separate category in Kooij) and notes tokens not issued by municipalities.

The data base is a tool for economic-historic research. I will present some early findings here.

Peter

Galaico

Quote from: Figleaf on November 09, 2019, 04:00:37 PM
Rotterdam, struck in the Utrecht mint in 1920 and 1930. Total mintage: 15 000 000.

Peter

I share here a token of those, that I have in my collection.

23,5 mm, 4,38 g.
Galaico - JPSAV

Figleaf

Thank you! Nice, sharp strike with full details. The Utrecht mint wasn't cheap, but it did a good job.

Peter

Galaico

Quote from: Figleaf on November 08, 2019, 02:13:31 PM
's-⁠Gravenhage, better known as The Hague in English, struck in the Utrecht mint in 1949 and 1952. Total mintage: 2 500 000.

Peter

I share another token of those.
It's from my collection.

Aluminium, 23,5 mm, 1,42 g.

Utrecht, 1923/28
Galaico - JPSAV

Galaico

Quote from: Figleaf on November 04, 2019, 09:59:13 AM
Utrecht, struck in the Utrecht mint in 1924 and 1951. Total mintage: 2 100 000.

Peter

Another one from my collection.

Aluminium, 23,5 mm, 1,45 g.

Galaico - JPSAV

Galaico

Here I share another token from my collection.

The photo of this token is missing in WoT.

Brass, 15 mm, 0,95 grams, Coin Alignment.

Beverwijk / Gas (stylised flames & 4 stars)

10 Gas
Galaico - JPSAV

Figleaf