A new approach to NCLT from New zealand

Started by Austrokiwi, May 08, 2011, 09:34:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Austrokiwi

NZ post the official supplier of NZ NCLT has taken what I understand is an unusual approach. As well as the usual proof set, they have gone and issued a silver proof set of circulating coins:

http://coins.nzpost.co.nz/2011/new-zealand-silver-currency-set

Bimat

The link you gave mentions that these coins were struck at Royal Dutch mint. So will these coins also show the mint and privy mark of Dutch mint?

$259 for a set is absolute rip off. How many collectors will actually be interested in buying a set? ???

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Austrokiwi

Quote from: Bimat on May 08, 2011, 10:34:28 AM
The link you gave mentions that these coins were struck at Royal Dutch mint. So will these coins also show the mint and privy mark of Dutch mint?

$259 for a set is absolute rip off. How many collectors will actually be interested in buying a set? ???

Aditya

I agree its a little expensive but it is in NZ dollars which translates to €143.20  and  US$204.00.     On who will buy; I will. The reason being is this is the first time I have seen a full silver strike of Circulating NZ currency. In previous years I had become extremely disenchanted with NZ proof set issues and this year decided to stop buying the proof sets. One of the problems has been that the metal used for producing NZ coins was too hard to produce good strikes for proof sets.  They fixed that by going to a softer metal for the proof sets..........but for other reasons I still wasn't interested.  This silver set is unusual ( at least to my knowledge) That said if they decide to make it a habit I won't be buying subsequent issues the first issue is enough for me.

As far as Mint mark goes I don't believe there will be any

Additional edit I just realised that the striking of coins in another metal is not that unusual. I don't think there is any suitable single English word for this but there is an appropriate German word: "Abshlaege". My guess is this set is one of the few modern Silver Abshlaeg ( is the omission of the "e" correct)  sets of base circulating coinage.

paddyirish

Quote from: Austrokiwi on May 08, 2011, 11:05:36 AM
I agree its a little expensive but it is in NZ dollars which translates to €143.20  and  US$204.00.     On who will buy; I will. The reason being is this is the first time I have seen a full silver strike of Circulating NZ currency.

I will probably buy one as well.  It is expensive and that would normally put me off, but as you say, it is the first of its kind...

chrisild

Quote from: Austrokiwi on May 08, 2011, 11:05:36 AM
My guess is this set is one of the few modern Silver Abshlaeg ( is the omission of the "e" correct)  sets of base circulating coinage.

German can be tricky at times. :) The singular is "Abschlag", plural is "Abschläge".
http://www.numispedia.de/Abschlag

Christian

Austrokiwi

thanks ....and no Umlaut?

An additional note: I just reread the pamphlet on the issue and was very amused by one simple line:
"All five silver coins in this set were struck in 2011"     

Now  I suppose it may just be a complicated way of saying all the coins are dated 2011. However I think it is more than this: NZ post received considerable criticism for "re-striking the silver kiwi dollar coins"   This was legal but given that collectors had been led to believe some of those coins had very low mintages considerable acrimony resulted. So I read the comment as an attempt to reassure collectors about the current issue issue in light of that past behaviour.

Figleaf

That clause says that if you order now (agree to the present offer), the seller guarantees that the pieces in the set were struck in 2011. This means they were not struck before 2011 and it is physically impossible that they were struck after 2011. It does not inhibit later restrikes; it doesn't promise the packaging will be different if the sets are struck later than 2011. All they need to do is issue a new offer in which this clause is deleted.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Austrokiwi

I received the set today  Given NZ posts recent issues it is a very nice quality  set (thankfully reflecting the price).  That said  I doubt( but my intentions could change) I will be purchasing next years issue, if there is one.

villa66

Quote from: Austrokiwi on May 08, 2011, 11:05:36 AM...As far as Mint mark goes I don't believe there will be any....

Now that you have the coins, was there a mintmark?

:) v.

Austrokiwi

Quote from: villa66 on May 16, 2011, 03:45:09 PM
Now that you have the coins, was there a mintmark?

:) v.

Cheers  only marks are the standard designers initials I'll post photos tomorrow

Austrokiwi

The set came with an outer cardboard box ( black with silver lettering) very much like the pictured Resin box.  Sorry for the quality of the photos I only have two lenses and neither did well photographing the box( A large part of that being lack of Photographic skills on my part. Box:

Austrokiwi

Austrokiwi

Austrokiwi

$2.00 Piece  Reverse  The coin is silver (in the photo the silver field came out black)