Author Topic: Portuguese-India, D. Sebastiao I, dinheiro with ship, Malacca mint.  (Read 1708 times)

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
Another thread on WoC is of ships on coins. Among the Indo-Portuguese series is an attractive type of a calaim dinheiro (2.37 g.) depicting a ship. The coin is without legend or date, but is attributed to the reign of D. Sebastiao I (1557-1578). Of this type I also have a meio dinheiro (1.33 & 1.03 g) and a bazaruco (0.79 g.).

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
A joy to look at! The coin shows a stylized carrack. While these ships were being replaced by three-masted caravels in the time of Sebastian I, there must have been plenty still around. Yet, I feel that the coin is something of a commemorative, celebrating the first discoverers, rather than the merchants who would follow in their footsteps.

Another factor to take into account are the many counters, mostly Italian and French, using this same type of ship as a symbol of travel, trade and daring. Eventually, the ship became a symbol of Christian iconography, but at this time, it was still real, not a symbol.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
I love this coin too.  There is something very modern about the reverse design: minimal and yet identifiable and a perfect fit within the circular frame. 
richie